Like Tree3Likes

Moving to MLCentral with 20kg dog

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to MLCentral with 20kg dog

Hi everyone.

My fiancée and I are moving to Bowen Rd.

I can't say I was all for bringing our dog, but the fiancee is very attached to her. Even though the dog is older and quite well behaved, I'm getting a little nervous reading some of these threads about HK's attitude towards dogs. My main concern is finding someone who we can hire to walk the dog on occasion.

Am I in for a struggle trying to manage the dog situation?Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1427568903.220410.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  91.1 KB

@dbloomy
    #GoHawks

Have you made sure your lease allows for dogs?
    You shouldn't have any other problems. Lots of people who have big dogs in ML. Labradors, Huskies etc. Most people let their maid walk the dog.

jimbo likes this.

You should be able to find dog walkers around the Mid Levels area you're going to be in. Plenty of dogs in that area ... worst case scenario, if you don't have a helper, find a neighbour who will not mind their helper walking your dog, along with theirs.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

In that area, do not walk it off the leash. Make sure the dog-walkers/maid/neighbour do not walk it off the leash. Consider getting it used to wearing a muzzle.

shri likes this.

If the dog is 20kg he shouldn't walk without a leash in any area not just in ML. Muzzle would be a good idea, especially when being in the lift or lobby of your apartment.

Leash can't be longer than 2m, so don't get a retractable.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    If the dog is 20kg he shouldn't walk without a leash in any area not just in ML.
    This is the law but I've never seen it enforced - I fracture it with some regularity.
    Muzzle would be a good idea, especially when being in the lift or lobby of your apartment. Leash can't be longer than 2m, so don't get a retractable.
    Another good idea.

I have a largish dog and she is quite obedient. I rarely put her leash on and never put on a muzzle unless I'm forced into it (ferries). Hong Kong is not very dog friendly (transport, shops etc etc) but they are everywhere.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Is the Bowen Road dog poisoner still around?

I'd be more concerned about that more than anything else.
    Don't let if off leash and do not let the dog eat anything found on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Is the Bowen Road dog poisoner still around?
    Yes, unfortunately.
    I'd be more concerned about that more than anything else.
    Don't let if off leash and do not let the dog eat anything found on the ground
    Train your dog not to go eating off the streets.

We have 2 dogs, the little one will chew and eat anything on the roads. The bigger one wont touch anything, wont even drink the rain water/puddles etc. I regularly take her on Bowen as well as BlacksLink off leash with no worries.

I found the idea of muzzles kind of mean towards dogs in HK, but it's actually good for protecting the dog itself from eating something dangerous on the street.

Thanks for the responses. I feel a little better about how we'll be able to deal with the dog. Not sure if a muzzle is in the cards, but she'll never be off leash (as it is here in the US).

@dbloomy
    #GoHawks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast