Like Tree24Likes

Cat: smoking & jumping cat queries

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by cjt:
    Original Post Deleted
    - Hey Hey glad to hear that the food switch has been completed.

Sorry to hear about the infection. SPCA could be a source of infection. If you have heard before, hospitals can spread viruses and fungi, spores etc. Just because it is a hospital doesn't mean it is 100% clean of germs, viruses. SPCA is no different in this regard. Animals can carry ringworm viruses etc and show no symptoms. They can then transmit this to other other animals via airborne particles. SPCA is not 100% free of those.

My cat had contacted a ringworm above her eyebrows and ear (very bad and very painful to see it). My vet told me to use a fungal cream. Useless cream, my cat would lick it. STOP using the fungal cream immediately and remove the cone of shame. I used a spray called Vetericyn. I sprayed it 4 times per day. Within 3-4 days I saw that the ringworm area has started to turn black. Within 1 week his hair started to grow back. And within a few weeks the ringworm cleared!!! I didn't give him any medicine to eat. Only spray alone did the job. The vet has said his ringworm has cleared up nicely.

I was so freaked out when i knew it was contagious for humans. Bathed myself in Welch baths, mopped the floor with bleach (daily). I was soooo sooo freaking out. Hated the fact that this was highly contagious and humans can get it all over the body. SCARY! But in the end, I didn't get anything. BUT my girlfriend got the ringworm on her lower leg. Which she used antifungal cream for a month.

Cheers and good luck with Ginger! She is a very cute cat.

This is mine btw. He wakes me up every morning at 5am. Sits on my neck and kneads his little paws on my throat.

It's not scary!!! Its not Ebola and it doesn't even make you throw up!

Original Post Deleted
    - It is a tough call for early release. Its really painful to see a cat in a cage as well. I understand your wives position since your child is priority. If you say that its clearing up then its great news. Wipe the cage with some water/bleach solution daily. Ginger should be good again in weeks.

Vetericyn is a spray that is not harmful to pets. Good to keep it in emergency cases for treating future, fungal, bacteria, hot spot, deep cuts, wound problems. Non toxic and can be ingested. Doesn't contain any alcohol. It's like a miracle spray. I didn't believe in such things but reading all those positive reviews online. AND trying it out. It convinced me.

Downside is the cost. Everything in HK costs more than in US.
    Natfixit likes this.

Yes, I know it's difficult to get rid of. I remember it as a kid. But I don't know, does it help the immune system develop? I think washing with iodine really helps to keep things clean and kill off the fungus. But even if it' suncomfortable for a month, you do recover and life does go on. At the SPCA they are not fazed at all anymore by getting ringworm.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Yes, I know it's difficult to get rid of. I remember it as a kid. But I don't know, does it help the immune system develop? I think washing with iodine really helps to keep things clean and kill off the fungus. But even if it' suncomfortable for a month, you do recover and life does go on. At the SPCA they are not fazed at all anymore by getting ringworm.
    That is why my cat has boarded once and only once at SPCA. Stayed once, and although I laud the vet care and the animal hospital, my cat came back ill. Kitty pictured looks like my cat, except mine is tabby with fat white belly.

Van dego or Ferndale are the only options for us as one of our cat sitters has left HK, and the other, who is a good friend of ours goes away for the major holidays. This year, we are again staying for Christmas in HK ( work reasons and also we cannot bear our cat to stay in the cattery because he is a people cat. We recently again dog sat for a week, and our cat gets along with small to medium to quiet larger dogs. Infact, they slept in each other's beds the past week, preferred the other's food.) the owner of Ferndale, Stacy Tucker is married to a vet and is qualified in animal husbandry.

There's this website where people looking for work who are interested in helping to take care of pets in certain neighborhoods can post: https://www.pawshake.com.hk/. As someone who advertised myself once upon a time ago when I was free to work and liked taking care of cats, I hope you might be willing to at least try (ironically this was back in London just as I was learning about this possibility of coming to HK, and the cat I took care of was a fat cat from HK!!! Some of the first things I ever learned about HK was from this couple.). But cats do get lonely, I think, alone in their home with only a short visit once a day for long-term (~a week). Are you based in Sai Kung? You can also look for students who are willing to housesit. It's really a tricky issue... either you let someone come into your home to stay, which can make some of us uncomfortable, or put them up in a cage in a busy place with noise and diseases.

Original Post Deleted
    In any choice between your cat ad your daughter, your daughter should win, agree. But a totally paranoid fear of minor germs won't help her in the long run. She needs to build up her immunity at a young age and a little dirt etc is good for that. Increasing evidence now, for example, that overly clean homes and no access to pets is one of the reasons for the huge increase of asthma. So reel in your wife if she gets overly jealous, it's not good.

Well, well, just last night I noticed a slightly dark patch on my cat's paw... looks to be ringworm! I'll take her in to the vet this afternoon. Thankfully, it's just a small patch. I think we just have these spores in our home from past kittens... We've had kittens in the past catch it while at our home. No idea how to get rid of it completely...

Well, I washed all the sheets and bedding (at 60 only). No way to wash the sofa or the carpet (which is probably carrying it). Did a thorough clean of the floor and surfaces with bleach. Felt frustrated I lost almost a whole day of working because I was taking care of the house and her! I think the vet agreed that it's most likely ringworm (I just know from experience), but she took a culture which will take a couple of weeks (kind of pointless in my opinion because it'll have started to heal by then). She gave me liquid medicine, which my husband was advocating, but which cost over $500. (Because the cat is theoretically "mine", I cover all the expenses.) She also confirmed to clean it 2x a day with an iodine wash. The cream doesn't really work because she'll just lick it off, and in our small apartment I don't really want to suffer with dealing with the cone and all the subsequent whining that would entail. We do have a kitten at the moment which, knock on wood, doesn't have any spots of it right now. Of course the vet said it would be better to keep them separated, but she understood that that just wasn't going to happen in our small flat. The cats actually sleep on the bed with us, and we don't want to put up with the insistent meowing if we tried to keep them out. Sooo... it is initially a very uncomfortable feeling, but today I'm finding myself much more nonchalant about it and not bothered to try to keep everything as hygienic as possible. I've already got the fungtopic cream from previous foster kittens on hand if I start to get a spot.

My partner and I did have ringworm as kids... I've often wondered if we have any sort of "immunity" to it, but I know the vets and SPCA staff get it periodically from their work.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 03-11-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Good to hear that it all worked out for you and Ginger. Our flabby tabby BSH mix, it is the vet on Thursday. We suspect either diabetes or stress from us feeding the strays outside ( who are desperate to come inside and eat like crazy!) , or both. He also has ibd so it is best that our kitty stays at a cattery. He gets lonely, too. When either my husband or I work from home, we are constantly bugged by meows, walking across the pc, etc...