Like Tree15Likes

Best natural cat canned food / worst natural canned food / cost of food

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Ahhh so it has taken its hold. Your cat is addicted to the Mon Petit etc food and won't touch anything that is more "Natural". Elegiaque is right, simply add perhaps 1/4 of the new can to the hold can. Then next day add even more. Recommended is to transition over 7 days.

I am guilty and haven't transitioned in the 7 day cycle. I did it within 2 days. Day 1 mixed 50:50 old and new wet food. Observed that he didn't have upset stomach. Day 2, gave him the new food and observed that he didn't have a bad tummy. I know, I know, I wasn't patient to do this transition cycle. Well needless to say, my cat has taken it well and it has been 3 weeks and no bad outcomes.

I saw that they had 6 cans of Whiskas for 36HKD @ International Park & Shop. Hence, i think 36HKD per 85g can is a mistake.

Schesir brand. I saw the brand in Jusco and was contemplating the brand. However, I just don't know where they make their foods and their ingredient list is not very transparent. I couldn't find a lot of info online. Hence I laid my hands off the brand. I also didn't like the flavors they offered. Everything containing fish. And only 1-2 is chicken based. I like meat variety only, chicken, rabbit, beef, lamb or venison.

I would of course put Kakato above all supermarket brands. Hope your cat will gradually get a liking for Kakato.
    misshappy26 likes this.

@belvoir Thanks for sharing this critical info! I doubt US branded pet foods are any more safer than what is claimed on all their marketing materials. I stopped giving Merrick to my cat after I noticed he drinking a lot of water after dinner. Never seen him do that before. I am still sitting on a full bag of Merrick Kitten dry food. I know what I will be doing with it tonight.

Geez it is terrible that he had to endure that after eating those supplements.

Orijen I have read good things about this Canadian brand. I will certainly look into their dry food. Sadly, they do not produce any dehyrdated or wet foods.

Original Post Deleted
    Hi There! ( been away for a while....busy busy..)

We feed our cat tins of Almo Nature, Kakato and/ Applaws. I buy them from Nine Lives ( except Applaws because Nine Lives doesn't stock this brand) because it is cheaper - Almo Nature 14 HKD per can and Kakato 13 HKD per can. All are high quality cat food. When we adopted our kitty, he had been raised on Purina, which IMO is junk food for cats. His breath smelt bad, coat dull and smelled and his poo et al was greenish and vile. So, I changed our cat's diet to Royal Canin Obesity Management ( because he WAS obese, now at a normal weight), and then changed to the first mentioned tinned brands which has helped his weight, mood, poo and internal health and coat immensely. I used to work at a cattery and noticed the condition of each cat's health in relation to what their diet was. The worst with digestive problem and overall healthy appearance were those cats who were fed whiskers, mon petit and anything by Purina, or cheap stuff. We used to feed them dry Castor et Pollux 'Organic' dry for indoor cats ( for those cats whose owners chose to let us feed them our food), and it was also very good quality. Avoderm was also good for dry food, but our cat has IBD, and is now on a Hill's dry food special allergy diet ( which I do not like to use as it makes kitty thirsty) with mostly the AlmoNature, Applaws, or Kakato tinned food. Even the strays outside are now fed on dry Nutrience ( US organic, natural brand ) as they dislike the Purina ( which I bought out of desperation because I couldn't make it to the usual shop in Sham Shui Po which stocks 90 % natural and high quality cat food. Not too sure on Fussy Cat, but have heard that it is quite good. I hope that this helps.
    misshappy26 likes this.

Every cat my parents have ever owned has lived off Whiskers. All of them have lived to an old age with zero health problems (other than the couple that got run over, which you cannot really ascribe to their diet!). When we had our cat, it was fed whatever was cheapest in the supermarket and it also lived to an old age (and then got run over). I read this whole thread with some level of disbelief actually. We loved our cat, and would love another one if lifestyle permitted, but at the end of the day it's a pet. Do your best but don't over stress it ffs!

@HK_Katherine. I am sure feeding all the supermarket brands won't kill off the pets at a quicker rate. My opinion is that, owning a cat today is very different from owning one back then. The difference is that we get access to so much online information and the plethora brands to date. As a new pet owner it is logical to do as much research as possible. Hence our views and what goes into this thread.

I am sure it was different back then? I probably would have fed my cat whiskas back then when I didn't know any better. Times have changed though.

Knowing a lot more about what goes into Whiskas etc.one can really call it junk food.... Would you feed yourself junk food on a daily basis? I for myself like to live as healthy and junk food free as possible. So I might as well do my best part to "search the most natural food" available, given how spoiled we are for brands.

Natfixit likes this.

jrkob, now you're confusing me....sorry for confusion on my part, and I am not stressed ( got enough stress coming from potentially fostering a dog this week and not sure how it will turn out) . What I meant was, just give good quality cat food. I give mine one tin of Almo Nature or Kakato or Applaws Chicken Breast or Chicken and Pumpkin ( he cannot eat seafood), plus a dessert spoonful of dry food during the day, and then a half tin of wet food mixed with a spoonful of dry in the evening. This should fill up your cat's tummy and hydrate. Plenty of water, too. I looked up cat food brands online but forget the website that informed me of ingredients and which was the best for my cat. To be honest, with the result, I was not surprised.

Poor Ginger. Let her eat what she likes!

Original Post Deleted
    Yes mix into a puree. Mix together the old and the new food and give it to her mornings and dinner (or lunch if someone can feed ginger). Mind you, this is only an example (measurement for reference only): Try this, (Day 1 and 2) mix 1 spoon of new food into 4 spoons of regular old food. Observe, is ginger pooping normally? If yes, continue (Day 3) mix 2 spoons of new food into 3 spoons old food. If poop is normal, continue, (Day 4) mix 3 spoons of new to 2 spoons old food. Is ginger eating everything? If yes and poop is normal continue, (Day 5) mix 4-5 spoons of new with 1 spoon old. Phew, you have made it thus far. Is poop ok? If yes, finally give her a whole can of new food and that is the process of transitioning.

KEY IDEA: is to give her less and less of the junk food every day and more of new food. Voila, that should hopefully get her off the nasty food additives and what not.

Well.... if all fails and ginger doesn't want to touch the new food. Then I am afraid, you are living with a junkie. Hence give her whatever HK_Katherine would feed.
    misshappy26 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Fantastic!

You could try the same mixtures for another day or two. If all is good then you can comfortably give 100% Kakato within 3-4 days.

Not that it may matter. I usually like to feed my British Short hair food placed on a flat plate. He has difficulty cleaning his food when it is placed in a deep bowl. You could give it a try and see if ginger will clean the plate entirely.

I used to find a flat plate resulted in plenty of food on the floor, for what its worth....

chingleutsch likes this.