Raw feeding in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Don't worry it's almost Friday

I must say that the raw food thing makes sense, dogs are carnivores after all.
    yes, but in order to get all the trace minerals and vitamins etc, they need to eat the whole beast, not just the flesh and bones. commercial diets are balanced, whereas some solely "raw" diets are not.

how many wolves catch a rabbit, skin it, and eat just the meat and bones?

therin lies the problem.

to supplement a balanced diet with raw bones/meat is logical, but to use them in place of a diet as some advocates do, is where the disagreements begin.

I do not feed BARF; but a good friend of mine does. She worries that what she feeds her cats is not nutritionally balanced.... so she consulted Pet Nutritionist So Ching Ching in Hong Kong (she is also a Registered Dietitian for human) before she started BARF, and learned how to feed a properly balanced meal.

Besides feeding raw meats, she now also supplemented the meat with some specific amount of natural Calcium, and Organic Chicken liver. I do see her cats' remarkable improvement, so maybe I will also visit the Pet Nutritionist some day. Her shop is in Taikoo but has an online shop that do free delivery.

Thanks Christina, for your input. I didn't know that there is a pet nutritionist who is ok with a BARF diet!

Personally I think BARF has too many calculations and supplements to it. I believe a balanced diet is key, but definitely no grains. A grain-based diet for dogs and cats just doesn't make sense to me. Hence, I still feed my dog grain-free kibble from time to time, to use as treats for positive reinforcement, and to supplement the raw meat. Grain-free kibble are usually more expensive because of the lack of "fillers". EVO and Orijen are two good brands, if anyone is interested.

dropdedfwed, yes I think you are absolutely right about dogs needing trace minerals and vitamins and they can't get that from just a diet of meat and bones. I therefore feed my dog, as much as possible, the whole chicken (head, neck, feet, heart, liver, kidney, etc).. Of course I can't feed all that in every meal but over a week, he gets pretty much everything in an animal. I make sure the variety is there and that the dog doesn't just get chicken. After all, each animal has something that another animal does not – one type of meat may be higher in Vitamin B, some may be higher in calcium or zinc, etc.

That said, raw isn't for every dog. Ultimately, I sincerely believe that every pet owner should feed what he/she feels comfortable with and
    what the dog does BEST on.

since when isn't some vegetable matter part of a carnivore's diet? what exactly do the stomach contents of aforemention chicken consist of? or a deer? don't see lions daintily removing the intestines prior to tucking in so they must ingest some of that content thus getting some grain/vegetable content in their diet.

oh just to raise another issue do you feed your dog every day or follow the 'natural' cycle of gorging followed by 2/3 days fasting?

I have also seen results in our dog on a mostly raw food diet. Her butt gland problem is slowly improving, her skin is no longer itchy and irritated, and she is happy! She is more regular in the poop department too.

I feed her raw beef, grated veg etc but because she needs stacks of fiber, I do add cooked brown rice or other grains/pulses.

I agree that its not the same as eating a whole beast, but perhaps a little closer than commerically manufactured canned food.

Each to their own though, everbody does what they feel is in the best interest of their pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lali07:

I agree that its not the same as eating a whole beast, but perhaps a little closer than commerically manufactured canned food.

Each to their own though, everbody does what they feel is in the best interest of their pet.

yeah, those pet food companies just spend millions on making diets that are fully balanced and also contain nutrients known to be beneficial for your pet, yet we can outsmart them by feeding some home made recipe, yeah!!!

yep, we all do what we think is best for our pets, that's why what i call passive cruelty is such a common thing..

actually, no. the OP has on a few occasions made wonderful references to how amazing raw meat is for their dog, and had to toss that in to the posting, instead of saying:

"hey guys, i feed my dog raw meat and bones, where can i get it?"
    Perhaps 'you' could have said "I don't agree with raw feeding"

yeah, those pet food companies just spend millions on making diets that are fully balanced and also contain nutrients known to be beneficial for your pet, yet we can outsmart them by feeding some home made recipe, yeah!!!

yep, we all do what we think is best for our pets, that's why what i call passive cruelty is such a common thing
    I'm beginning to suspect a link to a major petfood company

Quote Originally Posted by XI_YAN:
    since when isn't some vegetable matter part of a carnivore's diet? what exactly do the stomach contents of aforemention chicken consist of? or a deer? don't see lions daintily removing the intestines prior to tucking in so they must ingest some of that content thus getting some grain/vegetable content in their diet.
    Absolutely! Dogs are primarily carnivores but should be classified as omnivores because they can and do eat vegetable matter. Wolves in the wild eat vegetation too.

My beagle gets his odd bit of veggie here and there - fruits too, like papaya, banana, blueberries, plum, pears (he goes crazy for pears), of course without any of the poisonous seeds.

Wolves don't pick at the intestines of the prey but they don't certainly aim at the vegetable contents in the stomach first!

XI_YAN: Please read my disclaimer; I am not forcing anyone on raw. I feed raw because I see the results in my own animal. I would not continue him on something he didn’t clearly enjoy, and didn’t thrive on. I don’t think it is a miracle, and I don’t think it saved his life. But it certainly has improved the conditions of his life, and without it I do not think we would be where we are today.