Like Tree12Likes

Moving cat from Hong Kong to Singapore

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving cat from Hong Kong to Singapore

Hi,

I'm writing because there is a likelihood that I will be moving to Singapore and I will want to bring my cat (a rascal from the Hong Kong SPCA) with me. The thing is that I am getting many conflicting information about being able to bring pets in cabin for certain airlines and what is not. I have contacted George but at the same time, I am hoping to explore other options (affordable, if possible) for such a short flight.

Will you happen to have any suggestions?

Thank you!

I looked into this myself last year, and decided against moving to SG (not because of my pets though). Pets aren't allowed to fly in the cabin on international flights, regardless of the duration.

For bringing pets into SG, in case you haven't seen this yet:
    Bringing in & Transshipping Dogs & Cats | AVA

Natfixit likes this.

Forget about pets in cabins, not for long haul anyway, and definitely not international.

Animals must be checked in as "live cargo", and upon confirming with the airline, the cost must be paid when you book your own flight, and the airline must be notified and confirmed within 24 hrs of travel. My cat has flown from Dubai to HK ( George from International Pet Travel was there to meet him and whisk our kitty to quarantine, and our cat was fine. No hassles, no behavioural problems, just wanted food and litterbox by the end of it all.) with no problem with Cathay. The airline will load cat on last and offload first. They also must know so as to set the cargo area for live cargo onto a temp setting of that in the cabin - usually between 22-24 oC, plus dim lights so that your cat feels relaxed. We will also be moving our cat with us to Sweden. I recommend lining the carrier, which will be a good size for the cat to move around comfortably, and lined with absorbent pads, plus old clothing that has been worn by you so that it carries your scent, and relaxes your kitty.

In all honesty, Singapore is not far to fly. I have known people who lived nearby move their four cats and two dogs to the UK with no problem. Yes, two of their cats were the skittish kind...

OP, did you end up moving to SG with your cat? How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by madal1:
    OP, did you end up moving to SG with your cat? How did it go?
    Hello,

Yes I did! Hugo is now in Singapore. Took about 7 months of paperwork. FYI: If you can get your health certificate from SPCA (no more than 7 days before export), remember that you have to go to AFCD in Cheung Sha Wan for their endorsement and they require all of your pet's health documentation, your AVA import permit plus 1 working day).

It was stressful - took him 3 days to recover. We took the cab to the airport with the cat wailing all the way and when it came to check in, the SQ people were quite good with it (just remember to make multiple copies of your paperwork so that it will save time). We got there too early and they can only check him into cargo at 2 hours. Strange enough, they never gave me the paperwork for airline clearance or airport staff clearance but all went well.

I got over to the other side and I could not see him since he could not enter the customs area. The Lost and Found baggage people were kind but it took another 30 mins to locate the crate and cat (quite stressful). It is useful to stress to them that you have booked an appointment at the AVA Quarantine unit so they will act on it. The AVA unit is pretty far from the airport (another 20/30 mins drive) and requires a security check before entering. I will advise that if you are going there by cab, you might want to ask the cab to wait and leave the meter running. It is pretty far in and not much traffic at night.

Cat was delivered 20 mins after and the check was done quickly. We were off after that.

Do you need more info?

Addendum: Singapore Airlines allow for you to take your pet as check in baggage, which means that they count towards your luggage allowance and hence, no extra charges. If you take SQ, you will need to inform them no more than 28 days in advance with the weight and measurements of your crate +pet. This also means that you go to the airport with your pet and you check in with your pet at the check in counter at the HKIA.
    JaredHK, shri, madal1 and 3 others like this.

Thanks for the update! Glad it went well. Sounds like you did it all on your own and didn't hire a pet relo service?

What kind of crate did you use and where did you buy it from?

Thanks for the update! Glad it went well. Sounds like you did it all on your own and didn't hire a pet relo service?

What kind of crate did you use and where did you buy it from?
    hi,

I did it all myself - the quotation I got was out of my budget and I could not leave my pet behind. This way, we both flew on a single air ticket.

I got the crate from whiskers and paws (there is only one). You can also get the complete air travel kit but in my opinion, the drinking and food dish was knocked off within the first five minutes. The cable ties came in handy.

Are you flying to Singapore? The online portal for the Singapore government side is a bit tricky... Cats are technically not legal in public housing.

I read somewhere that British Airways no longer allow pets to travel in the smallest size crate that whisker and paws have...

Quote Originally Posted by lucentstreak:
    Are you flying to Singapore? The online portal for the Singapore government side is a bit tricky... Cats are technically not legal in public housing.

I read somewhere that British Airways no longer allow pets to travel in the smallest size crate that whisker and paws have...
    Yes, am planning on moving to SG with my 3 cats. We moved from San Francisco a few years ago and now I wish I'd kept their crates.

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably end up hiring a pet relo service on the SG side to pick me up and take me to the AVA area.

Yes, am planning on moving to SG with my 3 cats. We moved from San Francisco a few years ago and now I wish I'd kept their crates.

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably end up hiring a pet relo service on the SG side to pick me up and take me to the AVA area.
    Hi,

I did check out with a pet relo service here in Singapore - Ken Loo from Pethotel ([email protected]). I think it was pretty ok but just remember that the AVA area closes at 2230hrs and it is good to put 1.5 hr in between your arrival and the check up. The pet relocator may charge extra for outside office hours pick up.

I flew into Singapore about 1920 hrs and only got to leave with Hugo about 2130 hrs.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Just wanted to add to this old thread. We arrived yesterday in Singapore, and our cat and dog arrived also but on a separate flight. I can recommend Petexportvet highly for their service in seeing that our beloved pets were transported to Singapore, after a lot of changes ( instead of Sweden, my husband my transferred by his company to Singapore) and snags ( after I had collected quotes from various pet relocation companies, like IPT and Aeropet and Petexportvet - companies that I found to be highly recommended, my husband's firm wanted him to get other quotes such as from Ferndale - which was the most expensive. This delayed the process of the pets until it was almost too late. Much stress on us both.) . I was given a full itemised list of costs involved, plus the rabies vaccination certificates were completed promptly. Dr Gerry Pahl was on time to pick up both pets, and kept us updated with the moving process with pics via email. Tracey, his assistant always answered our queries asap and were so patient. They even arranged for pet boarding last minute for the day prior to the relocation ( as it would have been too stressful the second day of removalists packing our stuff) and also upon their arrival ( empty house, nothing for them or us.) yesterday. Today, they will be delivered to our new home. The receiving agent has been helpful and reliable. I couldn't recommend them more.

rani, Elegiaque and Catsy18 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast