Dog to HK as checked baggage

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dog to HK as checked baggage

HI,

Can anyone confirm with me whether or not dogs can arrive in HK as checked baggage. United says they will check the kennel as excess luggage. I appreciate any help. Oh.... we also need somewhere to stay when we arrive. It would be great to move in a place right away. I'm open to sharing. Pooches are Shit Tzus.

Thanks

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Nothing to do with Hong Kong; everything to do with the airline you fly with. Airlines have to make special provisions for live animals, e.g. heat and oxygen, otherwise they die; hence they can't be just chucked in with the rest of the luggage.

BTW, you might just want to amend the typo in the dogs' breed.

Claire- thank you for pointing that out. I brought a laugh to an otherwise stress-filled day

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Nothing to do with Hong Kong; everything to do with the airline you fly with. Airlines have to make special provisions for live animals, e.g. heat and oxygen, otherwise they die; hence they can't be just chucked in with the rest of the luggage.

BTW, you might just want to amend the typo in the dogs' breed.
    No it's something to do with Hong Kong and not the airline. Hong Kong accept pets only on manifest cargo !

cmlg

Hi Dutchess,

HKSAR government have regulation on importing pets and live animals.

You need to give them some paper to certify your pets are health enough to come here. Rat control in HK, dogs must have vaccination.

Please visit this government website.

Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department

OR SPCA
    Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Hong Kong)

Good luch to your pets

As a couple others above pointed out, the only way a live animal can come into HK is as "manifest cargo". Not cabin baggage, not checked baggage. It will have to be dropped off and reclaimed from the cargo terminal. Doesn't matter what the airlines say they can do. The link to the AFCD web site posted above will have details on this, and all other, HK government requirements for importing pets.

Oh yes, thank you...It was late... they are two darling Shih Tzus....but we're happy we gave you a laugh. We need those don't we? Thanks for the clarification. I thought United was off a bit with their lovely quote. We are flying from Canada. Does anyone have any tips on which airline we should use? I seem to recall Air Canada quoting around $1000.00

Does anyone have any suggestions on pet friendly flats on the Kowloon side.....under 12k?

Thanks again to all.

Depends how far out you want to be ... there are lots of dogs here in the Gold Coast marina but I don't know if they are allowed in the main complex.

If you read other posts on the same subject...many have recommended Cathay Pacific for flying pets from Canada to HK. Don't know the price but it's worth a call to them.

Its expensive but if you haven't done this before , I :: strongly suggest you hire a company to do this for you -its a bit fraught..... and just wait until you get to the consignment centre in HK airport -not the main building either -you will need a taxi etc-5 different counters and bits of paper to deal with and HK Chinese bureaucracy -good introduction really...but at least no quarantine if you have the right vet check papers...

Last edited by Miss P; 01-11-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast