Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MandM!
  • 2 Post By mrgoodkat

Dog teeth cleaning & anesthesia

Closed Thread

Dog teeth cleaning & anesthesia

Have you had your dog's teeth cleaned under anesthesia? Ark Vet are recommending it. I am concerned if this is safe for my 6 year old golden retriever. He does not yet have any major issues but a fair bit of tartar build up and I want to avoid tooth and gum disease.

I wouldn't do it, but that's my opinion.

Buy a toothbrush and toothpaste and try to brush your dogs teeth now and then. I think over time it will work (slowly over time gets easier). But for my dogs, they know my treats, and when I say treat, they learn to deal with it for a minute in order to get their treat.

I wouldn't put my dogs under for a teeth cleaning, nor do I think it is worth the costs or risks involved (albeit risk are probably very low).

huja likes this.

Buy bullysticks or raw pork ribs and give it to him twice a week. That will take care of the tartar build up.

huja and Natfixit like this.

You can also use a small spoon to scrape the tartar away. If you have a calm dog, you can use a proper dental scraping tool, but those are sharp and could do some damage (especially to the eye) if your dog is (like most) fidgety.

You can also give him distilled water. Minerals in (obviously) mineralized water contribute greatly to tartar on the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Buy bullysticks or raw pork ribs and give it to him twice a week. That will take care of the tartar build up.
    Once a week, we give our dog a raw pork bone or rib to have a good gnaw on, and so far so good. Although he is a young dog, our vet has commented upon how clean his teeth are. Too many bones, and your pup will most likely put on weight. We also give ours carrot and cucumber sticks to chew on. Some fruits are also good but also are high in sugar which is not good for your dog's teeth.

Avoid Greenies as they can give your dog diarhoea and are not so great with their ingredients. They also don't do the job as in clean your dog's teeth.