Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By Natfixit
  • 1 Post By Natfixit

Is Pet Insurance in Hong Kong worth the money?

Closed Thread

Cool Is Pet Insurance in Hong Kong worth the money?

I have two puppies (Yorkies) and thinking of getting Pet Insurance. Last year my Yorkie of 15 years past away with many complications to her lungs, eyes, and liver. My vet costs (including medicine, XRays and MRIs) were outrageous (to say the least)... Therefore, thinking of buying some to avoid the inevitable pain (both emotionally and financially) in later years. I was told the premium is around 3k per year per pet.

Any thoughts and recommendations for my new pups? I was warned that pet insurance coverage is minimal (yet the premiums are expensive), and they have a tendency (and a right) to drop your coverage if they feel the costs would escalate on the condition.

Aming, I was just about to post something similar regarding my two cats. If anyone can offer any advice re HK pet insurance that would be great

Quote Originally Posted by aming:
    I have two puppies (Yorkies) and thinking of getting Pet Insurance. Last year my Yorkie of 15 years past away with many complications to her lungs, eyes, and liver. My vet costs (including medicine, XRays and MRIs) were outrageous (to say the least)... Therefore, thinking of buying some to avoid the inevitable pain (both emotionally and financially) in later years. I was told the premium is around 3k per year per pet.

Any thoughts and recommendations for my new pups? I was warned that pet insurance coverage is minimal (yet the premiums are expensive), and they have a tendency (and a right) to drop your coverage if they feel the costs would escalate on the condition.
    Some years ago I wanted to buy insurance for my cats and understood that the pet insurance here only covered young pets, i.e. for cats <7 years. When they got old, the policy would terminate. Not sure if they are still the same now.

Quote Originally Posted by aming:

True to some extent. Manulife, who we were with until we terminated this year for many reasons, only insure pets up the age of 8. We insured our cat who is now 11, but terminated the contract as each time he got sick - usually vomiting from IBS, Manulife would eliminate that from the list for us to claim. Eventually it got so ridiculous that my husband rang them and asked why, and told them that we would not renew our policy. Even simple vet visits, hospitalisation. Manulife do NOT care about your pets, they only are in it to pull people in and get your money. So, until we move countries, we have not insured our beagle pup and spent around 4000HKD on him - rescue injuries inflicted by former owners. The reason being is that we keep aside a certain amount in our budget for our cat ( 11 yrs old FIV but extremely healthy) and dog for vet bills. Like one would do for their children. ( we have none)
    misshappy26 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by misshappy26:
    Aming, I was just about to post something similar regarding my two cats. If anyone can offer any advice re HK pet insurance that would be great

Re.the fine print and think ahead as to their health. Seriously. If you know that your cats will be ill from something that is omitted by the insurance company - company will ask you to fill out a questionnaire that when pet owners do so truthfully in the hope that their pets will be covered, the insurance company eliminates it from their claimable list. Pets are our children, and while insurance can be helpful, I advise you to keep a certain amount aside for that rainy day. We do and it has helped.
    misshappy26 likes this.

Some time the only human thing to do is to put them down. Most medications screw pets up and do little to keep them happy - they do keep owners guilt free.

Yes I have a pet dog and would not go down any exotic treatment route.

East_coast, Natfixit, huja and 1 others like this.

I would like to ask if it is advisable to get insurance for pet cats, 2 kittens to be specific. As i read from other posts, major illness are not covered. But i saw they cover vet visits, surgeon fees and some trivial things.

Is it good to save up and pay from hand or get insurance?

I agree to most of the comments left above and they echo the thoughts of many of my friends who have pets in Hong Kong. Most of them don't buy insurance these days because of the many exclusions (or they will give you "an individualised reason" for excluding it! ). So in the end, all the costs are out of pocket anyway.

Better to plan ahead, keep aside some money for your pet and if needed I have been told (luckily my cat Zelda hasn't needed it yet and she's a rescue) to take them to the non-profit vets (SPCA Vet Clinics I think) where the costs are more reasonable. Personally I prefer this over private vets (As they could really be a hit and miss too).