Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of sugar glider?

Does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of sugar glider?

There is a facebook group for sugar glider owners in HK but I can't seem to find a pet shop or breeder who sells them. Does anyone know where I could purchase a pair of sugar gliders?

Are you aware that they are awake at night only? If you keep them in your room they will be awake when you are trying to sleep, if you keep the outside you won't have any bonding time. They also smell really bad and pee everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Are you aware that they are awake at night only? If you keep them in your room they will be awake when you are trying to sleep, if you keep the outside you won't have any bonding time. They also smell really bad and pee everywhere.
    Yes, I've done my research and I'm fine with their sleep schedule and habits.

Aside from the ethical issues which I will not go into, it is illegal to import sugar gliders into HK. I think you will have trouble finding them here from a reputable source. Not 100% sure about HK, but in some countries you need a licence to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by SannyJ
    Aside from the ethical issues which I will not go into, it is illegal to import sugar gliders into HK. I think you will have trouble finding them here from a reputable source. Not 100% sure about HK, but in some countries you need a licence to keep them.
    Appreciate the feedback, I don't believe you need a license to own them. I understand they are illegal to import but given that there is already an existing community of owners here in HK I was curious to know if there are breeders for sugar gliders in the area.

As they are not a native species and it is illegal to import, I would honestly not trust any of the breeders here in HK. They would have had to import them illegally and I highly doubt they have the training or knowledge to breed these properly. Sugar gliders have for a while been seen as a fashionable pet, so were breed for volume meaning their well being is been not taken into account.

You seem to be set on having these as a pet and seem to have done your research which makes me think you really like these animals. I would therefore discourage you from getting them here as you would be encouraging this illegal trade and would be putting more of them at risk.

I'm pretty certain you would need a CITES licence to import from their native Australia.
    And if you have that, I trust you have a suitable walk-through aviary planted with suitable mature trees so they could get sufficient exercise to remain healthy. From the top of the curtain to the door handle doesn't cut it.

Fiona in HKG, jimbo, emx and 1 others like this.

Why not put your resources into supporting and conserving them in the wild, in their natural habitat (which, to take a guess, is probably being threatened).

The ethics have to do with keeping a wild animal out of its natural environment -- in a HK apartment?! -- for the sake of amusement. It is not a kind thing to do to another living being. The trade, which is potentially obtaining them illegally or capturing wild ones, is also possibly *hurting* this species.

Meanwhile there are animals in HK in need of care and a home. Even the SPCA has some exotic ones. So if you've got resources and are looking for something furry, please have a look at those who you can help instead of just getting a "cool" or "fashionable" living being and keeping it locked up in an unnatural environment.

Fiona in HKG and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xz336
    There is a facebook group for sugar glider owners in HK but I can't seem to find a pet shop or breeder who sells them. Does anyone know where I could purchase a pair of sugar gliders?
    I would ask on the Facebook site...surely they will know.

I thought a sugar glider was some sort of baking utensil. Thanks for the education

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast