Like Tree6Likes

Raw pet food - using fresh pork

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raw pet food - using fresh pork

Hi, does anyone here feed their pets raw food. Does anyone use fresh pork from the market (I shop in Graham market)? Any thoughts on the freshness, chemicals, would you eat it for yourself...?

Thanks in advance!

If you join this group they will direct you to a raw feeders group. (be aware some of the posters need rabies shots as well as their pets!)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7743...85065/?fref=nf

shri, DirtyHairy and papaya like this.

Thanks! I'm on a raw cats one, but it's so global and very few HK residents there!

Haha!! Think there are a number of those in every pet group on FB!

There is a Hong Kong one. We have switched from Kibble to home cooked. Not ready to try Raw yet.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/414675202035899/

Thank you! I was recommended to that group too. It's actually amazing the difference from kibble to real food. Just don't cook the bone as it can splinter and injure your pets internally. Hope to have you ready to take the leap of faith soon!

The difference really is having more disinfectants and cleaning sprays, floor cloths, etc.. lol

Ok, just read Salmon and Pork should be frozen for a couple of weeks before feeding to get rid of parasites.

Quote Originally Posted by erintan:
    Thank you! I was recommended to that group too. It's actually amazing the difference from kibble to real food. Just don't cook the bone as it can splinter and injure your pets internally. Hope to have you ready to take the leap of faith soon!

The difference really is having more disinfectants and cleaning sprays, floor cloths, etc.. lol
    Our dog LOVEs home cooked food. She goes absolutely nuts at meal time. All the protein we give her is boneless, but we do give her an occasional raw pork bone to gnaw at.

The tummy upsets is what scares me about going RAW. Don't want to be cleaning the floors and bedding

Oh, I thought the few week freezing was for wild animals? Lol. The drama when we try new meats we don't understand. The great debate now is to make a new batch tonight or to just try my luck lol.

Actually it was a lot more pleasant than I expected, but if you're concerned about that, you can lightly cook the food so they start getting used to raw. I started my cat with dropping some raw chicken down as I cooked. So no nightmares at all.

They really do need a fair amount of bone in their diet for the calcium and phosphorus, but you can also supplement with bonemeal or powdered eggshells if you're worried. I don't know the ratios for dogs but for cats it's 10% of the diet. Do be careful about those large bones as they can fracture their teeth or worse, someone on my FB group was sharing that she stopping feeding large bones to her dogs as one of them ended up in the vet with many shards piercing down his tummy. Horrifying!

How do you make sure that your pets get all the necessary vitamins and other nutrients that are in dry food?

We feed our cats Kakato chicken and beef and occasionally we will boil up a chicken breast and shred that, but this is only complementary to their dry food.

They will find all the necessary nutrients in a balanced raw made diet. The general ratio for cats are 80:10:10 (muscle meat: bonergans). Of the 10% of organs, at least half of it must be liver for something which I don't recall what. After mixing this up, I'll add a raw whole egg and sardines with tomato. Sardines for Omega 3 and tomato coz it makes them like their food more. Eggs are another good source of protein and they are also very rich in many vitamins.

Muscle meat: generally red meat or add lots of heart in it for added taurine. Eg, chicken breast is a white meat, but chicken thigh (because the chicken hopefully gets to walk around) is tougher and produces more taurine)

The chewing of the bones and meat chunks will help clean their teeth.

All in all, the very fact that you know what your cat is eating does make a healthier cat, smaller and less smelly and less frequent poop, and an even glossier fur coat and eyes.

Kakato is already a great food brand, but what's amazing is that my cat's meal is generally cheaper than an Instinct G/F can. Which is saying a lot.

You can join this FB group which was where I learnt everything I know to make my cat food. They also have lots of files, calculators and spreadsheets as well that you can download to read and use : https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatCrap/

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast