Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HowardCoombs
  • 1 Post By P.G

Suggestions for pet hotels?

Closed Thread

Suggestions for pet hotels?

Does anyone have any experiences with dog hotels? If yes, do you have any that you would recommend? Regardless of the area.

A few months back, my wife and I went on vacation which I then combined with a business trip. In total we were out of Hong Kong for 18 days. During this time, we had put our dog in a dog hotel in the Tuen Mun area. The dog hotel had overall good reviews and the owners also sent us (only) a couple of photos via Whatsapp during our absence. But on the day we got her back, we felt that she had lost some weight and overall extremely tired. While we understand that the change of environments can be very stressful on the animal, we simply want to make sure that she gets the best treatment.

Any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

Alternative choice

I would suggest to board your dog with someone you trust (as you might do for human child). I had a friend who is also a dog trainer and kept my dog with her during the time I was out-of-town. I used to visit the dog park in Yau Tsim Mong area and met plenty of other (regular and non-regular) dog-parents and we would help each other out when needed - this of course depends on how often you visit the dog park and how social you are with the other dog-parents.

Do you have a dog walker? Often times I see dog walkers taking charge of some of their client's dogs while the client is out of town. I would expect the charge to be similar to dog boarding companies.

shri likes this.

Ours used to stay at Kennel Van Dego in San Kung. It isn't flash but it is kept very clean, dogs have big air conditioned enclosures to sleep in, beds provided ( but best you provide the bedding to go into the bed) , and an outdoor area for dogs to run around in. Staff are friendly and love dogs and cats. No, they do not starve your dog, either - ours used to come back looking healthy. Other friends who live in HK use kennel van Dego. They do pick up and drop off also.