Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Ellenna
  • 2 Post By Fymmie

Cost of bird vet check-ups

Closed Thread

Post Cost of bird vet check-ups

I want to get a cockatiel from the Bird Market because the price is unbeatable there but I'm pretty sure that the birds there have not been taken care of properly. Just by looking, I can see that none of the birds are in proper sized cages.
    So I was thinking how much would it cost to have a check up of a pet bird? I am also thinking of buying two cockatiels so that they can play with each other, would it cost extra for another cockatiel?

So you want to support a business that involves animal neglect and cruelty? Money should not be the first concern when getting a pet. For vet costs, call Tai Wai Small & Exotic Animal Clinic and ask.

Elegiaque, Natfixit, huja and 1 others like this.

Try the HK SPCA. They might have some for adoption to a good home.
    https://www.spca.org.hk/en/services/...s-for-adoption

Elegiaque and Natfixit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenna:
    So you want to support a business that involves animal neglect and cruelty? Money should not be the first concern when getting a pet. For vet costs, call Tai Wai Small & Exotic Animal Clinic and ask.
    Second this. Also, the birds in this market are often diseased - the ones that show symptoms are put down immediately, but you never know. also, some of these birds may have been imported illegally. For the record, our former neighbour in Brisbane has a cockatiel, brought home 27 yrs ago, and it outlived him ( neighbour died last year.) . His widow has the bird which will probably outlive herself ( she is almost 90 yrs old.) . If you leave HK, will you take the bird with? If not, best not to buy or adopt. Can foster, check with the Tai Tai Small Animal and Exotic Animal Hospital in Tai Tai - they may have birds to foster. SPCA also receive birds, hamsters, rabbits you name it...

I prefer to say it as 'I'm going to give these birds a better home'
    Today, I went to the Yuen Po Street Bird Market and see a lot of birds crammed together in one cage. The cage is suitable for one or two birds, but not a family. I finally know that the sellers of these birds are just there for your money. They keep breeding the birds and selling them. I asked one of the store owners in Cantonese, What species of bird is this? The store owner said that he forgot. It was a macaw...

Ever think to ask a vet?