Like Tree3Likes

Moving dog from HK to Sg

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Moving dog from HK to Sg

Hi everyone,

we will be moving back to Singapore in about 7-7.5 months from now, and I'm planning ahead on how to relocate our toy poodle back to Singapore.

Im a homemaker and we are on a single person income, so our preference is to settle the paperwork on our own without engaging a relocation service if possible, due to costs. I also have the time/availability to settle the paperwork.

Ive seen a few threads in relocating cats from HK to Sg, just wondering if the process is similar? Anyone has any experience relocating dogs from HK to Sg - advice on paperwork process and rough timeline is very much appreciated!

We are planning to fly with Cathay, but it seems that SQ also allow pets as checked in cargo, and may fly with SQ too.

thanks in advance for any advice or help provided!!

don't forget to check any medical reports and quarantine requirements as well

My advice is to get the rabies shot and get the blood serology test and certificate ASAP. The blood for the test has to be drawn after 30 days of the shot and the test results took 6 weeks to come back.

Here's the SG AVA website with all the instructions. Looks like the only additional requirements for a dog (vs cat) is you need to obtain a dog licence before applying for an AVA Import Licence.

https://www.ava.gov.sg/explore-by-se...ping-dogs-cats

Thanks everyone!

Yes I've read the AVA site

Our dog..well he's still a puppy now but he'll be 1 year 3 months + by the time we move. I've applied for dog license about 2 months back with our vet but still awaiting a reply for confirmation, our clinic did advise that it may take a few months.

Thanks for for the advice regarding the rabies shot. We got it done 2 months ago already as well, we'll bring him in for blood tests and cert soon!

Is there anymore paper work to be done on HK side with the AFCD?

If I remember correctly, your dog needs to get a vet health check, and the health check report needs to be endorsed by the AFCD. Both must be done within 7 days of your departure.

https://www.afcd.gov.hk/English/quar...pao_ioahc.html

Last edited by madal1; 16-08-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added relevant link

A friend did this a few years ago and flew Cathay. The cheapest way is to send them is as excess baggage (actual weight) and not cargo (volumetric weight). She had 3 HK specials weighing around 20kg each and was quoted around $35K and ended up paying around $10-12K by doing it herself.

You need to contact Cathay and make sure there's space for your dog on yourpreferred flight, once you get a confirmation book your tickets. You check in your dog with you and pay the excess fees at the airport.

You do need a pet relocator to get you to the airport and help you clear SG customs. Can't remember who she used or how much she paid.

Natfixit and Mellifluous like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifluous:
    Thanks everyone!

Yes I've read the AVA site

Our dog..well he's still a puppy now but he'll be 1 year 3 months + by the time we move. I've applied for dog license about 2 months back with our vet but still awaiting a reply for confirmation, our clinic did advise that it may take a few months.

Thanks for for the advice regarding the rabies shot. We got it done 2 months ago already as well, we'll bring him in for blood tests and cert soon!

Is there anymore paper work to be done on HK side with the AFCD?
    Dog license at the AFCD is very FAST and painless also on the wallet lol its a 15 min procedure and ONLY costs HK$80. If your puppy is over 3 months old then just go and take it to the nearest AFCD yourself.

Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department-Animal Management(Licensing,microchipping and vaccinating your dog against rabies)

Oh ok! I was not aware of that! Let me clarify with our vet if not I'll just register my pup on my own

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifluous:
    Oh ok! I was not aware of that! Let me clarify with our vet if not I'll just register my pup on my own
    The private veterinary surgeon may impose an additional charge for the service provided to you.
    LOL

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast