Like Tree10Likes

Keeping cats off kitchen counters

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We just used to smack them if they jumped on the counter and say "no" in a scary voice. Didn't take long. I love animals, but letting them run riot is ridiculous.

When I was growing up, my mother discovered that the sound of an aerosol spray would move cats really quickly (you don't spray anything AT the cat, just in their vicinity, doesn't matter if it's deodorant, furniture polish, or whatever). The smarter cats got it in one, the slower ones took 2 or 3 "hints". After that, mum would just leave an empty aerosol can on the piano and on top of the sideboard (she didn't care about the kitchen!), and no more problems until the next cat arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by misshappy26:
    Uncomfortable? Looks like it inflicts pain.
    haha, yes a little bit i guess. but my little one is smart enough to avoid it after one try. I'm sure she didn't hurt herself too much.

It is more important to keep her off more dangerous areas though.

cut lemons

Quote Originally Posted by Firemin:
    Small spray bottle of water - spritz them every time they jump up somewhere you don't want them. They soon get the message....
    This – except we just shoo them off the table with a short, sharp shout to boot
    HK_Katherine likes this.

I tried the water spray, my apartment was like a swimming pool after one day.

I suggest a hairdryer!

Catsy18 likes this.

The lemon/citrus thing works. except when we're preparing their food on the counter. Then they will jump up and ignore it. Otherwise, they don't go up there when there's just lemons