Moving dogs to Italy

Closed Thread

Moving dogs to Italy

Anyone has experience with moving pets to Italy/Europe? (As checked in baggage)

As far as I know, I will need
    1. Certificate by HK agricultural bureau (EU form)
    2. Microchips (done)
    3. New rabies shot
    4. Health check by a vet before departure

I'm planning to take Aeroflot HK-Moscow-Italy so there will be a few hours layover.
    Anyone had tips about moving dogs with long hours flights with transit? Is there any spray or pills that are safe and calm them down? Also, it will be cold, should I dress them?

I'm going with Aeroflot because it's cheapest for both human and dogs (Each dog about 3-4k). Is there any airline has cheaper offer for dogs?

Thanks a lot!

Don't give you dog any sort of sedative bc it will lower their heart rate which you don't want. My advice is to not
    go the cheapest route and look at options that allow you to keep the dogs in a climate controlled area of the plane which is a safer option.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus:
    Don't give you dog any sort of sedative bc it will lower their heart rate which you don't want. My advice is to not
    go the cheapest route and look at options that allow you to keep the dogs in a climate controlled area of the plane which is a safer option.
    I agree with what Plus said. However, you are best to check with a pet relocation company about which airlines they use to fly their pets ( which must be flown as live cargo) to your destination. If you want to do this yourself, have an OCD detailed list of what needs to be done right down to the right airline approved pet carrier, labels et al. And if there is a short stopover, provide some food in a sealed plastic bag on top of the crate with instructions for the handler. Plus extra plastic ties to secure the crate.

You MUST book your dogs before you fly, just as you book your own flight. This is because there is limited space in the special temperature controlled area of the hold. You must notify the airline that LIVE CARGO is travelling at least 48 hrs prior to the flight.

If your dogs are nervous, you can line the bottom of their carriers with articles of clothing that has your scent on it. Unfortunately, airlines do not allow toys inside ( this is what I was told) . Happy travels!