Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree33Likes

AC for cats home alone during the day

Egypt is in Africa.....

robertlempriere likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    If your AC has infrared (remote control) you could use something like this to make it "smart"
    This box can control basically any IR enabled device.
    Requires Xiaomi hub
    Only Chinese UI (but easy enough to figure out)

(yes, I'm aware there are other options, just sharing the one I use)
    Sorry, my aircon is window type with no remote, connects to wall switch, hard wired to outlet. Heck, I can't even set a temperature, just random "high" and "low" according to numbers. On the very lowest setting, I estimate maybe 28- 30 C so cats seem fine at that temp.
    robertlempriere likes this.

My electricity bill was huge last summer.

I leave one a/c unit on in one bedroom during the day, on high as its a 3-bed apartment. I also leave the dehumidifier on auto. When I get home I switch that a/c unit off and put the living room one on low.

My apartment gets really hot, theres no cool breeze only warm as I live above restaurants & their extractor fans. My a/c units are old, noisy and crappy. I also leave one light on and the radio. I work long hours so I dont want the worry of them getting too hot with no cool air. One cat likes the heat (to a degree) but my other cat doesnt like it. When I find her lying on the cool bathroom tiles she looks at me as if to say, why did we move here?

#catmumworries

MABinPengChau likes this.

Hi, maybe you can try UV protection sticker - (3M & other company have this product), it can reduce the sun/ hot come into your room and easy to stick it by yourself too. And the Tint mirror one can also keep your privacy as well.
    I also agree that the smart home products will help you out, if you want to turn on / off of your air con, on/ off of the light/TV/cam/door and other devices. The technology and the internet/wifi are good enough to control it.
    I have try plug with my window air con(i set in low cold), it works fine.
    I also try the hub for my split air con and LED strip , they all works well. So maybe you can try too.
    As I know, some of the system can also monitor the bill of your home too , seems a nice stuff to find out more.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Sorry, my aircon is window type with no remote, connects to wall switch, hard wired to outlet. Heck, I can't even set a temperature, just random "high" and "low" according to numbers. On the very lowest setting, I estimate maybe 28- 30 C so cats seem fine at that temp.
    Could you use one of these to get a more accurate temperature?

I'm really amazed at how my (HK) cats gravitate to the hottest place in the home... It's at least 30C in the hallway, but seems to be their preferred place! Least air circulation, no AC. They lay upside down really cute on the tile... but why go there in the first place?!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    I'm really amazed at how my (HK) cats gravitate to the hottest place in the home...
    You know what, I have noticed EXACTLY the same thing.
    I no longer leave the aircon on in the living room unless I'm there, and Ginger will go lie down under the window, which is probably the hotest part of the apartment.

Except when I switch on the computer, in which case she sits ON the computer. Behind my computer's monitor is also a good/hot spot.

Keeping my place cool for the cat is no longer a concern.
    Elegiaque and HK_Katherine like this.

Yes, my cats hang out in the room without AC- but afraid that without any AC that the other room would be even worse- this way, the room with AC is probably about 29 degrees and the bedroom is maybe 32 if it's a sunny day (I am the top floor). Anyway, the AC bill wasn't too crazy last year so I am doing it again this year. If I move to TW it will be a split aircon with better temp control and I will NOT live on the top floor (wouldn't have done it in HK either but it's such a great view and with the roof balcony, it was still worth it with the additional heat).

Also, when they bake in the sun they shed like crazy, even with brushing.

Elegiaque likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3