Like Tree18Likes

Cat From India - Quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau

And cats don't have passports, no one is checking how long they are in the US or any other Group II country, Group II is a list of something like 36 countries, can find one closer to India if there are friends/relatives there who would help out.
    Pets most certainly do have passports.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_passport

And if you are advocating that the OP just try and avoid the safety measures put in place to protect all pets in HK (and humans) then you are well out of order. The rules are there for good reasons.
    Fiona in HKG and kimwy66 like this.

And cats don't have passports, no one is checking how long they are in the US or any other Group II country, Group II is a list of something like 36 countries, can find one closer to India if there are friends/relatives there who would help out.
    While there are now pet passports in some parts of the work, there is still a requirement for:

Residence Permit certifying that the animal has been continuously residing in the country/place of origin during the preceding 180 days, or since birth, prior to departure from that country. The area within 10km of the animal premises has been free of reported cases of rabies in any animals (excluding bats) during the preceding 180 days from the date of departure.
    (Note: please refer to Remarks column.)

Certifying, with full details of vaccine(s):
    (i) that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies less than one year and more than 30 days prior to departure. In the case of primary vaccination the animal was at least 90 days old when vaccinated.
    (ii).showing a good history of anti-rabies vaccination (with details) extending back over a period of more than 1 year (or since puppyhood or kittenhood) be included.

Certifying that the animal has been vaccinated against the following canine/feline infectious diseases not less than 14 days and not more than 1 year before coming to Hong Kong:

Dog - canine distemper, infectious canine hepatitis and canine parvovirus.

Cat -feline panleucopaenia (infectious enteritis) and feline respiratory disease complex (cat flu).

Certifying that the animals have travelled the entire journey on one aircraft without leaving the aircraft
    enroute and/or without any stopping/changing-over in a country/place of lower health status; and were not in contact with any other animals.
    (Note: A blank copy of the Airline Certificate (Form No. PC101) will be provided for completion by relevant Airlines.)

Remarks:
    1. Dogs and cats less than 5 months old or more than 4 weeks pregnant must NOT be imported.
    2. A combined Animal Health, Residence and Vaccination Certificate is acceptable. The certificates must be signed and stamped by either a full time salaried government veterinary officer or a registered veterinary surgeon and endorsed by a full time salaried government veterinary officer.
    Natfixit, HK_Katherine and kimwy66 like this.

Better to chill 180 days in the US than 120 days in quarantine in HK.
    Only if you are from the US or it becomes expensive. And just because the cat flies to the US from a class III country does not mean that it is not subject to quarantine in the USA. What makes you think that quarantine in the US is better in HK? For the record ( which I will elaborate later - I have to take my dogs out for a walk) , my cat spent 4 mths in HK quarantine after flying from Dubai in 2010. He is still alive. He actually was absolutely fine, as were other cats in Pokfulam facility.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 13-06-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Guys, this thread has been acrimonious from the word go. Katherine while your posts are helpful I’d rethink the tone you adopt in your posts. They seem unkind and it’s possible to use fewer words make your advice stand out and do all of that sounding kind.

That said I will not leave my pet behind. What is best for my pet is my absolute discretion. While I appreciate you suggesting leaving behind a pet with a family member may be kind - how do you assume I have a family? Or that it would be best for the pet. Going forward if I were you, I’d step back read my post and see if a suggestion is merely a suggestion or it borders on value judgment - if it’s the latte drop it sister.

MABin - thanks for the advice. I’ve been told this before and I’m reconsidering practising law from New York for a year before relocating to Hong Kong.

This is my first post in this forum and it’s been unhelpful and has like they say “gotten my goat” - ciao folks.

Natfixit Thanks. You seem to be the only one who read my post and understood what I meant when I said “share your experience”.

Everyone else seems to think I do not know how to use google or Wikipedia.