Like Tree8Likes

Hope to adopt a hedgehog

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Had played with it for few minutes in our garden in Italy and vanished after. Their just showing at night. Can this animal be a good pet?

See reply from SPCA when I asked about hedgehogs (as a hedgehog owner looking to bring one to HK - I can’t ☹️) Importing them is illegal (I contacted the AFCD to check for licensing- found out I can’t bring my pet with me) owning them is legal and SPCA said they do sometimes have them up for adoption.

I’ll be looking to get another one once I’m settled in HK. If anyone knows of any good sellers or has a pregnant hedgie? Incredibly lovely pets am heartbroken I can’t bring mine with me.

CharlyJ, could you elaborate what the AFCD exactly said? SPCA says it's NOT illegal to keep hedgehogs in Hong Kong but you need to get a permit first before importing one. So why you can't bring your hedgehog in?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyJ:
    See reply from SPCA when I asked about hedgehogs (as a hedgehog owner looking to bring one to HK - I can’t ☹️) Importing them is illegal (I contacted the AFCD to check for licensing- found out I can’t bring my pet with me) owning them is legal and SPCA said they do sometimes have them up for adoption.

I’ll be looking to get another one once I’m settled in HK. If anyone knows of any good sellers or has a pregnant hedgie? Incredibly lovely pets am heartbroken I can’t bring mine with me.

See screen shot - I was so hopeful when SPCA said that and then nope from AFCD ☹️. I even asked if there were other permits I could apply for that would get her in (breeding etc) nope - not allowed.
    I am moving from Mainland China too so thought that would help - but no
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Well that's a drat! And does not make sense to me - what POSSIBLE harm there could be from hedgehogs in Hong Kong? Hope you have communicated the info to SPCA. I would also keep asking AFCD what is the reasoning behind this asinine rule...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyJ:
    See screen shot - I was so hopeful when SPCA said that and then nope from AFCD ☹️. I even asked if there were other permits I could apply for that would get her in (breeding etc) nope - not allowed.
    I am moving from Mainland China too so thought that would help - but no

So weird as you can buy them in HK and own them.
    A friend has seen people walking their hedgehogs (on leads) at the peak!?!

Just saw this, a Hedgehog Cafe in Hong Kong:
    https://www.facebook.com/kuricafe/

Last edited by Ellenna; 30-07-2019 at 01:03 PM.