Like Tree10Likes

Indoor cats and apartment windows

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What I think we did last time was get a large lattice like this, which you can get at Japan Home Centre or any hardware store. Cut out any section you need for access to the window handle. Then use binder clips to attach it to the frame, removing the metal part once they're in place. The window will still close.

We now have professionally installed window screens, and that's really nice (except when that particular part timer didn't close them). The cats have gone crazy once and banged into the screen (flying around mid-air) -- I do worry they're not really that strong, but it's very rare they get near them!

Rob2020 and chingleutsch like this.

I use the lattice approach, fixed to the windows using zip-ties.

When I adopted by cats ~8 years ago, the place they came from (not SPCA, some independent group) insisted on coming over to check things were cat ready, including the windows.

Not sure if it qualifies for the SPCA but I had latches put on my windows that stopped them opening more than 2 inches unless you unhooked the latches. I could open the windows and the cats couldn't get out. was I think 100HKD per window I think but can't remember for sure. My cats are weirdly big for HK street cats though (7kg each and not fat) so a smaller (I think most HK street cats are 3-4kg) cat might be able to get through a gap that size I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I don't know how "new" it is, but yes, it is a requirement.

You can buy chicken wire at most hardware stores, I think. In my opinion, it's useful to show you're trying and willing to comply. I think if you get fussy about it, they won't be very accepting.

Curious what happened to your first cat.
    It was ten years ago and the SPCA never mentioned anything about windows - only the size of the flat (IIRC). Coming up to her 11th birthday she is still going strong.

Come to think of it, the SPCA never raised windows as an issue when we were fostering kittens for them either.

Original Post Deleted
    If you look at the image, you can see that there's a magnetic strip attached to the frame. This stuff has be be custom cut for the window, so the installers are not going to just whack in a couple of screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

Curious what happened to your first cat.
    "Fell" out of the window...

So we ended up getting these wire screens from Living Plaza as suggested and just cable tying the living heck out of them. Windows now will not open.

It looks a bit like cage living within a coffin room, but it passed muster and we’re approved!

I will keep looking for better.

Normal aluminium frames as mentioned above.

My husband is a part-time SPCA inspector and I don't think a week goes by when he doesn't have a call to scrape a kitty off the pavement because they have fallen from a high rise. He only gets called out if they are injured rather than already dead and almost all of them expire shortly afterwards or have to be put to sleep.

Having heard about what he has seen, there is no way we would have a cat in a high rise without bars or strong screens on our windows.

Elegiaque and juanalias like this.

Perfect solution, and cheap.
    Name:  c12416f00e38991d600834eec8661146.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  202.1 KB