Like Tree10Likes

Indoor cats and apartment windows

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Indoor cats and apartment windows

Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas or recommendations for cat-proofing 2 quite large windows (around 3.5 ft x 2.5 ft each).

We adopted a cat 2 years ago from SPCA without any problems. Sadly she passed away suddenly a few months ago. We have decided we'd like to adopt again and found a pair of kittens however SPCA this time seems very insistent on checking my windows are "properly" cat-proofed. The examples of properly-cat proofed windows indicated to me are both hideous and ridiculous - I may as well just brick up the window completely.

We have windows in every room, which we have almost never opened anyway. I have managed to secure some of them with cable-ties however for the largest ones in the living room it would require a multiple cable-tie complicated solution which I think would probably not be deemed acceptable.

So any suggestions of places we can go to buy some chicken wire or mesh-type solution would be much appreciated. It's a bit academic really as we will never open the windows but we need to show the SPCA that we are properly committed to the welfare of these little kitties!

Thanks!

Is this a new requirement? The SPCA didn't ask for this when we adopted several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Is this a new requirement? The SPCA didn't ask for this when we adopted several years ago.
    I don't know how "new" it is, but yes, it is a requirement.

You can buy chicken wire at most hardware stores, I think. In my opinion, it's useful to show you're trying and willing to comply. I think if you get fussy about it, they won't be very accepting.

Curious what happened to your first cat.

Hi Elegiaque,

Yes I'm thinking I will get some chicken wire for now and order something better online. (That's if nobody can suggest anything I can quickly acquire that is a more elegant solution). I certainly understand the reasoning from the SPCA and I wouldn't dream of putting the cats in danger - as I said whatever it is I end up with I would not open the window anyway. My partner and I were absolutely devastated when our cat passed away. She just seemed unusually tired one day and the next day she was gone. (Congestive heart failure).

@traineeinvestor - they did casually ask me to "be careful" about the window situation 2 years ago but this time in no uncertain terms they told me that until I prove my windows are catproof I can't proceed to "reserve" the cats.

My landlord (British) had custom screen panels made for my large windows that open- just a metal frame with screen mesh. He did it when remodeling the interior. On some of the windows they were just double-edge taped on the very large windows they are on a hinge with a magnetic closure. I don't like them as I hardly ever open the windows and diminishes my super-great sea view. Not sure if you can buy a metal square or rectangle the same size as your window and stretch out the screen material but, as you said, maybe online.

But if I did open my windows more I would be happy because my two cats spook very easily and nothing would surprise me when they are spooked (there is a ledge outside the window and I could see at least one of them jumping out onto it).

LAP also asks for screened windows, not sure if they have any advice on how to do it (they advertise here, link somewhere).

Ofnpanad likes this.

Hmm, was trying to find a pic of what my screens look like online (as it is too dark now to photo them) and this came up- mesh that has magnetic tape on the perimeter- this looks easy to make (albeit, not beautiful but gets you the cats) then you could order something like this.

Plastic Magnetic Insect Screen - Man Chong Windows and Doors | Aluminium Doors and Windows, Anti-Mosquito Screens, Sun Glass House, Wood Cladding Aluminum Doors and Windows, Intelligent Sliding Sunroof, Open Skylights, Roller Shutter, Shower Screen

Ofnpanad and spode like this.

Our place came with those magnetic mesh screens. They are so weakly attached that they could not be considered cat proof, the weight of a cat would just tear them off the frames.

chingleutsch likes this.

A lady from a cat charity has made some guides for what you can do for a dyi approach. Something like a lattice from Japan Home Centre and binder clips. We did it before. Not pretty, but works. I may have posted the info before here. I can try to dig it up tomorrow.

Be careful though, even if you say you'll keep it closed, you never know what can happen. We once had a part time helper open the window on the 30/F in front of the cats, and she must have been doing it often, as I just happened to catch her. She did it again at our new (lower floor) flat. She didn't seem to get it or agree with our concern. Both times I was shocked at her defiance/ignorance.

That looks great! Much better than the severe solutions I was shown... but reading on yeah magnets might not be enough.

I’ll see what I can come up with and update the thread if it’s acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by Ofnpanad:
    So any suggestions of places we can go to buy some chicken wire or mesh-type solution would be much appreciated. It's a bit academic really as we will never open the windows but we need to show the SPCA that we are properly committed to the welfare of these little kitties!
    The better stocked small hardware stores will carry wire mesh. Just walk in with a photo on your phone.

I imagine that you only need something temporary anyway, enough to satisfy a once-off visual inspection, and that will just tear it down afterwards?

That magnetic mesh stuff is really not cheap. Some of the department stores can arrange (e.g. Aeon if they have a curtains section) as could curtain stores in Wanchai or Mongkok. But it's designed to be insect proof, not cat proof.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast