Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Pet rats

Pet rats

Hello everyone!

Basically I'm looking to adopt a pair of pet rats, but I'm having no luck finding any breeders in Hong Kong. I know there are a few groups on Facebook, but they're all closed and none has replied to my requests to join.

I don't want to buy rats from a reptile shop as I wouldn't know what kind of rat I'm getting and I've also heard they're prone to early deaths/respiratory problems and can be very skittish/traumatized. However, I wouldn't mind picking up two young rats from a lab.
    If anybody has any clues, please help a gal out!

Ellenna likes this.

coffee_break likes this.

Call SPCA as they get all sorts of small mammals- I have been there and seen plenty of hamsters and guinea pigs and chincillas and such. They don't always put them all online.

They would be happy to know you because most people would feed to snakes, not good for pets. And the pet ones are usually different-looking to the lab ones, seen ones with spots and cute.

I'll try to remember this if you are ever asking for advice on any reasonable question...

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenna
    I'll try to remember this if you are ever asking for advice on any reasonable question...
    Sorry?

You really think OP is going to find some sewer rat pups to adopt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon
    Sorry?

Some articles in expat living on keeping fancy rats but no link where to buy them.

Weirdly, this article came up and it is about a couple in HK who adopted a baby street rat...and their happy life together...maybe it IS possible...

https://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/17/l...rat/index.html

Kowloon Goon likes this.

I am NOT looking to take home a sewer rat. Wouldn't ask here if that was the case, would I?

Rat lovers sure are sensitive people. Good luck with your search.

markranson likes this.

I was trying to find a shop because I have seen a lot of small animal shops (I am a hamster lover but have two cats who are NOT...). Used to keep hamsters in Tokyo.

That was when the sewer rat came up. I wasn't trying to be snarky, it's an interesting article, but I do get you are looking for what seem to be called "fancy" rats.

Here was an article with a HK kid and his "fancy" rat but no advice on where to buy, only an exotic animal hospital

So I would call them, because apparently they have rat patients and would likely know a reputable breeder.

My cousin used to keep rats, I liked them a lot. Hers were white, I like the ones with colors.

https://expatliving.hk/pets-tai-wai-...otic-hospital/

shri likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast