Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mrgoodkat

Help: Bored lonely dog at home

Closed Thread

Help: Bored lonely dog at home

Hello,

It hurts leaving my dog alone at home when I go off to work, trying to find ways to make him happier.

My girlfriend and I walks him in the morning and evening. When we're away at work, we have a dogwalker that comes around lunch. But still, there are a lots of time during the weekdays where he's alone.

So far... all we can think of is to get a second dog, or possibly find another dog owner in similar situation and pair up?

Any suggestions?

- Male, 9 months, not neuter(waiting till he's abit older), lives in Stanley.

At 9 mths, he needs lots of toys, especially the Kongs, stuffed IKEA animals and things that he can chew on. One of our beagles was neutered at the age of 9 mths old with no problems. Does he spray or mark the place where you are living? We adopted our rescue beagle in Hong Kong, but he had our rescue cat for company. It wasn’t until we moved to SG, we fostered and boarded other dogs before we adopted our second beagle. Both are close to each other and very good companions. A second dog could be a good companion. However, one beagle ( another abandoned on the street, rescued by a student and her friends) we fostered for a while preferred to be the sole dog. I find that the younger the animal, the easier it is to introduce another pet to the household.

Well, first: You should get the dog neutered. Vets usually recommend to have the procedure at 6 months and there are no benefits I know of to having it done later. It will also make your dog calmer.

I don't think you can do much to entertain your dog when nobody is around. Most toys require a human. The dog walker should be sufficient, dogs can easily stay alone for a few hours. Why do you think he is unhappy/bored? Does he shred your furniture?

I wouldn't recommend a second dog if you already don't have much time for the first one.

jwyl, Natfixit and spode like this.

Thanks for the reply.

We have tons of toys for him, ikea animal and Kong included. As for shredding furniture, he occasionally rips up shoes and plastic stools, that's about it.

In regards to feeling he's unhappy, I guess that's internal for me, appears to me every dog has atleast another.

Thanks for the all the suggestions.

Also recommend getting a dog walker, will give you peace of mind and help keep him stimulated and energised during the day. He’s so young he will have endless energy. Bound to be lots of dog walkers where you are