Like Tree58Likes

Should I get a hamster for my office?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    +1 on that. I would be tempted to keep him at home
    I have never had a hamster playing around 1 foot away from me, it's fascinating-at home, the hamster cage is on a shelf somewhere, you are never very close. I am sure my cats would be endlessly "entertained." Hamster, not so much. New office anti-stress policy- one standard-issue dwarf hamster per person. Fish tank is also relaxing for me but is more work...as are mini-turtles, have had both. I spend so many hours at my desk, just makes sense to share my space with my little buddy...
    hullexile, MatthieuTofu and jack55 like this.

Gender uncertainty principle therapy...

How about something dignified like Freud or Heisenberg?

You'd also get to create your own definition for Freudschaden (*).

Anyway, I was late to suggest getting a canary instead. There was also another new avian influenza making rounds in the Hub, so, one bird, two stones so to speak...

(*) not to be confused with schadenfreude, Freudschäden implies damage or mischief created by Freud. ;-)

Last edited by Mefisto; 24-02-2020 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Freud made me do it!
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Cuteness Overload

Yup, this is loads better than thinking about the corona virus:

MatthieuTofu and AsianXpat0 like this.

I have 2 sisters roborovski hamster and have been keeping this kind of hamsters for at least 3 years and have been a fan ever since. They are more a active runners than the regular dwarf hamsters and comes in different colors. You can keep more of them in one hamstercage as long they come from the same nest. About the smell, mostly the urine, get a good hamster bedding like the carefresh, you won’t smell the hamster. I keep them in a imac hamstercage with 3 floors. Idk why but it seems I can’t post of picture of them from my mobile. ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï ¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½â€â™€ï¸
    Last edited by Joie Lai; 24-02-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Pictures added
    MABinPengChau and AsianXpat0 like this.

WOW!! Super cute! Mine was in a cluster of other hamsters of around the same age but no way to tell who was from the same litter so going with a solo...

I want a bigger cage because I can see they are a super-active breed. He wore himself out on the wheel this afternoon.

They recommended some corn-cob bedding for odor control, he seems to like digging in it...well I have huge bag I need to use up before I try anything else. I'm glad I took the plunge, it's been a great stress-buster and I can recommend to anyone to put the cage on your desk, gives you quite the up-close view of the action.

Joie Lai likes this.

I like gerbils. Hardly any smell, more social than hamsters. Not strictly nocturnal so up during the day.
    More here:
    https://petcentral.chewy.com/gerbils...he-difference/

MABinPengChau and Joie Lai like this.

Have not seen a single gerbil for sale or adoption in HK. Had a bad experience as a kid where our gerbils had babies (oh we were extra clueless) and then the father killed the babies. Pretty scarred from that experience.

Have not seen any non-dwarf hamsters, mice, or rats for sale either. I think gerbils look too much like mice for HKers to like them.

Corn-cob bedding is good! ������ They are very playful from nature and I bought a lot of toys for them. They do love to dig and need a sand bath as well. Also, their teeth keeps growing so they need something to gnaw on to keep their teeth short. The dark one Matcha ������, I just started to let her walk around in my living room. When she is done with her walking and sniffing around, she will walk into her cage by herself. You can message me anytime if you have any questions.

Last edited by Joie Lai; 24-02-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Forget something

Cory is a great name, please keep the photos coming, too cute for words.

Trying to train Cory, the hamster

So when I come in, I turn on the lights- so I opened the cage and handed Cory some sunflower seeds, let's see if he learns to associate my coming in and turning on the lights with treats. Then he dug some tunnels (doesn't really work, wonder if I should bring in a box of real soil and let him have at it...)

And then he was worn out from all the eating and work: