Like Tree16Likes

Indoor 100% cats?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66
    I'm curious about this having had many cats, but always with free outside access.

Now our dear dog has departed we are thinking of getting a cat. Any tips for entertaining them, keeping them fit as indoor only cats?
    Highly recommend getting an older, more settled cat or, better still, a bonded pair (often siblings).

Here is a pair I was looking at over the weekend as I fantasized about getting more cats which would piss off the resident cats (or at least one of them) to no end so it will never happen- but doesn't stop me from looking:

https://kirstenszoo.com/animals/xiao-xiong-and-bobo/
    chingleutsch and Natfixit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55
    From what I've heard, cats don't need to be outdoors. Being indoors is safer for them. You let them roam, they could get into fights, run over by a car, bring home diseases, eat rats, get lost, never come back, find a new home, etc.
    Lets avoid another masks-style debate and limit it to how to keep indoor cats happy and healthy.

Another, younger, bonded pair:

https://kirstenszoo.com/animals/mindy-mimi/

Natfixit likes this.

I also highly recommend a very large cat tower/condo- I have one of these and there is a lot of "king of the hill" activities with running up and down all the time. Have it placed by the window where there are a ton of birds nesting and bathing around the AC unit, endless fascination.

https://www.amazon.com/Armarkat-A720...s%2C348&sr=8-3

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Another, younger, bonded pair:

https://kirstenszoo.com/animals/mindy-mimi/
    They look lovely, but I've finally made it to the end of the adoption form, and wow. My husband would never agree to giving out that much personal information, not sure that I would come to that, so I guess I'll just have to stick to goldfish.
    coffee_break likes this.

They look lovely, but I've finally made it to the end of the adoption form, and wow. My husband would never agree to giving out that much personal information, not sure that I would come to that, so I guess I'll just have to stick to goldfish.
    Yeah, I am surprised how much info some people want- I worked with a cat rescue group in Japan and found they were more like cat hoarders than wanting to adopt out- some places say you can't be gone more than 6 hours in a day (they won't adopt to you). The one cat I adopted in HK last time I was here (2009-2012) was from the SPCA. They (at that time) were not crazy picky. That one was a former feral and I lived on the ground floor and had a cat door- one day he did not come back which is not surprising feral behavior. That was also on Peng Chau so pretty sure he wasn't run over by a car!

I can recommend the "emotional support hamster" it's been going great for me...then home to cats at night and on weekends.

Our cats ( BSH and a Chartreux ) have always been 100% indoors, and nothing changed when we moved them over with our German Shepherd to Brisbane. Domestic cats tend to kill native birdlife, so being indoors is the right thing to do over here.

Cats are usually pretty easy going when indoors, as long as you keep their kitty litter tray regularly cleaned and food and water refreshed. Our cats are part of the family and love hanging out with the hoomans. During the day they don't do much anyway, apart from sleep in their fave spot by a window and will be happy to see you when you get home from work for a snuggle. Mine always jumps up onto my lap for cuddle time while I settle down for the evening to watch TV in my fave chair.

In short, cats are totally happy with living indoors.

Any tips for entertaining them, keeping them fit as indoor only cats?
    Yes, if you do that, get two of the same age... they keep each other active.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Just to add one more voice to the chorus of "The best plaything for a cat is another cat."

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Highly recommend getting an older, more settled cat or, better still, a bonded pair (often siblings).

Here is a pair I was looking at over the weekend as I fantasized about getting more cats which would piss off the resident cats (or at least one of them) to no end so it will never happen- but doesn't stop me from looking:

https://kirstenszoo.com/animals/xiao-xiong-and-bobo/
    We adopted our now deceased Thomas at the age of about 4.5 yrs and would adopt an older cat again. They are ore settled, and calmer, and neutered are less likely to wander or get into fights. Fighting among cats helps spread FIV which is what my cat had. That saying, FIV is not a death sentence nor is it spread to humans, dogs or other cats that easily. We had a kitty gym, lots of toys, the largest litter box we could find ( as a BSH cross his bum was pretty big) and cosy beds. Keep windows shut and a fan on all day when hot. Ours loved watching out the window but was too scared to venture outdoors. He was smart. Could steal chicken breast and steak off a smoking hot BBQ but knew there were aggressive village dogs outside. One cat we were going to adopt got ripped apart by a village dog. It was awful and she was so young. Luckily her kitten was rescued.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast