Like Tree16Likes

Indoor 100% cats?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Indoor 100% cats?

Back home in Manchester I kept a cat. I lived on the 1st floor. The cat would climb up on the fence and come in via the bathroom window.

Yet Im hearing people keep cats indoors 247? I currently live in a village house on the first floor.

Im thinking if something similar would ne feasible or do people just keep them outside 247 or inside 247? . There are tons of cats at the street markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchesterhope
    Back home in Manchester I kept a cat. I lived on the 1st floor. The cat would climb up on the fence and come in via the bathroom window.

Yet Im hearing people keep cats indoors 247? I currently live in a village house on the first floor.

Im thinking if something similar would ne feasible or do people just keep them outside 247 or inside 247? . There are tons of cats at the street markets.
    Mine have never been out. On the balcony but only when I’m with them I’m village house too. They’re perfectly fine with this because they know no different.

Back in the UK of course my cats would have had free rein.
    juanalias and Skyhook like this.

Best to keep cats in to protect them from snakes, dogs, poison and crazy villagers. It also helps protect local wildlife from the cats.

I transitioned my indoor outdoor cat to fully indoors now that I live on the second floor. I still feel bad about it but she has survived.

I'm curious about this having had many cats, but always with free outside access.

Now our dear dog has departed we are thinking of getting a cat. Any tips for entertaining them, keeping them fit as indoor only cats?

My cat has lived indoors her entire life. She can go onto the balconies but doesnt seem to really want to. She has no interest on what lies beyond the front door either. I think it really depends on the cat. Some look for every opportunity to get out and others seem satisfied indoors.

chingleutsch likes this.

Our two cats have been indoors from birth, with one or two escapes. Our flat is chock full of toys, climbing towers, elevated sitting places.
    They never look wistful or unfulfilled, and never complain of cabin fever, at least when I'm around. I'm sure they're happy. I recommend having two - competing/fighting/grooming/chasing each other is a lot of what they do. We lost the battle to fatness a while back.

One of my boys was born under the stairs and the other is a rescue that live 100% indoors... we live in a village house and both are free to come and go as they please... as far as I know, neither have been further than our little porch... they're not interested... on the other hand, we've had two other cats who roamed and wouldn't come back for days... both, eventually, never came back!

Skyhook likes this.

bsh

My 2 were brought up indoors here but always wanted to escape further. Eventually I took one back to the U.K. 4 years ago but made sure the garden was properly fenced off and fencing panels were 8 feet high.

I had to leave him in the U.K. with my brother who has since had to fence off all his garden and create a run/tunnel from inside the house to the garden.

Yeah, I paid for most of it.

From what I've heard, cats don't need to be outdoors. Being indoors is safer for them. You let them roam, they could get into fights, run over by a car, bring home diseases, eat rats, get lost, never come back, find a new home, etc.

Natfixit likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast