Like Tree128Likes

Helper not walking the dog

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Anyone who knows me knows that I am extremely pro-helper, but we all know this happens a lot. Come on, who of you haven't seen helpers sitting dogs while they scroll through Facebook?

Weirdly, I had the same problem with our last helper and ultimately terminated her for it... not for not walking the dog, but repeatedly lying about it.

Tough call, I wouldn't judge you whatever you did... I'm tempted to suggest talking to her or whatever, but the reality is, I've seen it plenty of times and done nothing... part 'mind your biz' part 'what if she gets fired and her kids can't eat'... HK does weird shit to morals.

ellekay and Sage like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I couldn't agree more. I'm fresh to HK so even the whole helper thing is new to me. I have a small dog in Australia who I had to leave with my parents because 1. Australia has realllly strict quarantine rules, and 2. HK living seemed much too small and crowded for him. I was so disgusted when I inspected an apartment here with 2 family generations and 4 dogs who were kept in cages. Point being, dogs need daily exercise and it sure is abuse when they're not getting it.
    In saying that, my OP was just an assumption and I could be wrong. I just wanted advice..
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ellekay:
    I couldn't agree more. I'm fresh to HK so even the whole helper thing is new to me. I have a small dog in Australia who I had to leave with my parents because 1. Australia has realllly strict quarantine rules, and 2. HK living seemed much too small and crowded for him. I was so disgusted when I inspected an apartment here with 2 family generations and 4 dogs who were kept in cages. Point being, dogs need daily exercise and it sure is abuse when they're not getting it.
    In saying that, my OP was just an assumption and I could be wrong. I just wanted advice..
    Have you seen the dogs being taken for a walk in a pram yet .

As you say you are new to Hong Kong, it is generally accepted that most (but not all) helpers have a pretty shit life and many are abused in one way or another. A very sensitive topic.
    Coolboy and Plutark like this.

Karen, leave her and the dog alone.

Bruno., rkenia852 and Plutark like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Have you seen the dogs being taken for a walk in a pram yet .
    Yes! Unless the dog has a medical condition requiring this then this is abuse! Dogs in HK don’t have enough space or get out enough as it is so to not encourage them to walk when out is nuts!

I also find it odd that dogs don’t want to be more active. I’m used to dogs that can’t wait to get out and run amok. HK dogs on the whole seem very docile and well behaved.
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Yes! Unless the dog has a medical condition requiring this then this is abuse! Dogs in HK don’t have enough space or get out enough as it is so to not encourage them to walk when out is nuts!

I also find it odd that dogs don’t want to be more active. I’m used to dogs that can’t wait to get out and run amok. HK dogs on the whole seem very docile and well behaved.
    A very old photo of me not taking one of my dogs for a walk. In the days before phones so he made a useful desk to write on.

Name:  101842218_10158487423408293_1328215548206514176_o.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  81.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ellekay:
    . Point being, dogs need daily exercise and it sure is abuse when they're not getting it.
    No, it is definitely not abuse.

So I guess a lot of parents are abusing their children when they don't force them to exercise... Funny I haven't seen too many kids taken away from their parents for that reason nor have I ever heard the SPCA investigating cases of not walking enough for dogs. I don't disagree that just like us, it's a lot better for pets to get regular exercise nor do I disagree that many people don't take care of their pets(or their children) as well as they should but shouting abuse seems a little excessive even more so when the whole story is so incomplete.

rkenia852 likes this.

To the OP, don't mind the sarcasm thrown around here. It's one of the major characteristics of a geo-expatian You'll get used to it. Without it, geo won't be geo.

Regarding the topic, if you're really concerned, umm like a few have suggested -- you could go and try to play with the dog and have a casual chat. Of course, perhaps the helper could be tired af, and maybe she's using the time for both the dog and herself to relax. On the other hand, could be negligence of duty (walking the dog). All assumptions. So, you could go and "see" for yourself. No harm, is there?

Have a good day.

Coolboy, blueagles and ellekay like this.

Personally Karen I would call the police, maybe get the helper deported for this disgusting act of animal cruelty

Bartholomeuw and Bruno. like this.