Like Tree96Likes

Shipping pets to UK...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Shipping pets to UK...

You might want to leave it for a bit. BA last Tuesday announced a freight rate increase of 900% to start as of June 30th.
    After some lobbying they relented and agreed only to raise their rates by 500%.
    Cathay not an option as they are not accepting any pet shipments. Please note this is BA cargo local office here and not HQ in London.
    If your pet shipment isn't urgent I would look at waiting it out for a bit.

Elegiaque and shri like this.

Thanks for updating about this. Do you have any suggestions for what people should do? When do you think it's likely to ease up? Because if leaving a pet behind, it's quite hard to commit to fostering if it could turn out to be a year+.

Not much choice when going to UK as they must arrive as manifest cargo. You can't do excess baggage. However if you have a cat or smaller dog then you could consider doing excess baggage to Paris or Amsterdam and then taking the ferry to UK. You can't take them on Eurostar and only one ferry route accepts pets with foot passengers

chuckster007 likes this.

Update: Cathay have now announced a blanket ban on all pet shipments leaving Hong Kong.
    To add to that KLM and Lufthansa have also embargoes pet shipments to UK & Ireland with Lufthansa not taking any out of HK altogether.
    Currently you have only the limited space on BA or the once in a blue moon flight with Qatar.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Is the ban to UK or all destinations?

With Cathay to all destinations. With Lufthansa its out of HKG but set for review on March 31st.
    I think Cathay are just not able to manage with the new regime put in by HK government.

shri and dengxi like this.

https://www.ft.com/content/42fa7fa3-...1-c374cc197d09

No pets out of TW either(except in cabin) - there is a general lack of capacity and pets are not prioritized.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Ah... not good for me.

Was hoping to be out of HK by end of July and take two cats with me.

Whoa, made it out in the last month possible...I flew them the first date they were eligible for entry (actually the night before as Cathay canceled my flight on the very day they were eligible). A little too close for comfort... Guess I better not try moving back to the US anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bsh:
    Ah... not good for me.

Was hoping to be out of HK by end of July and take two cats with me.
    Better start planning now. There is a huge backlog and I am not kidding. There is possibly a 5 figure number of pets looking to move to UK this year (BNO effect) and Heathrow has had to put a daily cap on incoming animals as they just cant cope. Not just from BNO but from migrant workers around the world losing jobs and moving back to UK.
    dengxi likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast