Like Tree89Likes

Beware Texting Whilst Walking Dogs

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Do you... somehow... not know how to use a bicycle bell properly?

(Honestly, from your post history, this would not surprise me.)
    There is a proper way to use a bell? Other than like to 'ding' ?

Quote Originally Posted by AB888:
    I wanted to share this on this forum. I am not a pet owner although I love dogs. I live in a NT village and am very used to the village dogs. Yesterday I was cycling to the shops and ahead of me on the path was a maid walking two dogs. One was medium sized the other large sized. The maid was on her phone and the dogs were meandering a bit so I held back waiting for an opportunity to pass. Seeing a widening of the path ahead I drew closer and it was at this point the maid turned round, saw me and gasped. The large dog reacted instinctively and lunged at me. It was very strong and the maid was in a real pickle. I asked the maid to take the dog to the side of the path and calm it down (it was very aggressive by now). She was able to do so and I passed by but it made me think how different this could have been

If the dog had broken free and attacked me i would have been in hospital having anti-rabies jabs and the dog would have been put down. I cannot blame the dog but it is not uncommon to see a maid engrossed in her phone whilst walking dogs and there is always the potential for accidents. (the path is used by walkers and bikers of all ages).

We do have multilingual posters around the village asking people to "pick up" after their dogs. I am wondering if there is any organization that might produce a simple multilingual poster warning of the dangers of texting whilst walking dogs! Prevention is always better than cure. I took photographs but have no desire to get the dog, the owner or the maid in trouble. Any thoughts? Thx
    I think I know the lady you saw. She's the owner of the largest rattan furniture business in the world. Busy buying extra plants in Aceh at the moment so probably distracted rather than being mindful walking her dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    The bell sound very often scare walkers instead of alert them, and accident happens because of the bell sound.
    Those scared by the sound of a bell must surely be superfluous to society.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    ding very very far away.. so at least every one has 5 seconds or more to react to your ding.

I guess trying to swallow one would be an improper usage?

Seriously though, just ring the bell far away enough not to scare the bejesus out of people, and problems magically never even appear. I kind of thought that this was so obvious that it didn't need spelling out, but I guess it wasn't obvious to someone.

Saying that accidents happen because of bicycle bells is like saying car horns or elevator bing sounds can cause accidents. Like... what?

We can't win on our shared paths where I live. Ring a bell to let someone know you are there (for example coming up behind them) and they act scared, shocked. Don't ring a bell and they shout at you for not ringing a bell.
    In HK at least (I seem to recall you left a while back?) I find that pedestrians and hikers are pretty accommodating. Bells and the occasional m'goy with a smile usually works very well. In the city, it results in people moving aside, in the countryside it often results in shouts of encouragement or a question as to how many other riders there are passing.
    Last edited by jgl; 03-03-2021 at 05:11 PM.

From reading this thread I now have the Anita Ward song stuck as an earworm.

Okay, forget the bike, I was actually pushing it at this stage but the point is that taking a dog for a walk is not a "walk in the park". There were two dogs and one was quite large. The walker was lost to the immediate surroundings and expressed alarm when realizing that someone else was close. The big, powerful dog, responding instinctively to protect the walker, lunged out in a pretty frightening way. No one was hurt but they could have been. Everyone appreciates that texting whilst driving is dangerous. From this personal experience I feel that texting whilst walking a large and powerful dog can also be dangerous and I was wondering how to raise awareness of this potential problem. It is a case of being socially aware. My worry was what might have befallen the dog if the walker had relayed the experience to the owner. And, for what it is worth, I do not think that walker will ever lose track of her responsibilities to the dogs in future. Yes, it was that dramatic. Which is why I posted. Catharsis perhaps and it is disappointing that the regular idiots (you know who they/you are) feel they/you have to weigh in with their/your irrelevant comments. But thanks for the constructive ones.
    What about multi-lingual information posters?
    hike likes this.

You are such an idiot. There is no argument here. Why make make one?
    Walking the dogs not illegal preferred obviously with leads. Bike anywhere other than a road or cycle path not legal. There's no arguments, Just plain facts

I've seen hand made poster in some villages about mobile phones and cars (risk of getting run over). Why not make your own and put up? Can't hurt and might help.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4