Clearing Customs with my Dog

Closed Thread

Clearing Customs with my Dog

We'll be relocating to HK in January and have decided not to use a pet relocation agency.

Can anyone let me know what they did to clear customs for their dog?

I'm guessing that once I clear customs myself, I'll have to go over to the cargo terminal and then is it self-explanatory??

How do you even get to the cargo terminal?

I'll need to transport my dog (and myself) to Discovery Bay so wondering how people do that since cabs from the airport are not allowed...do you take the shuttle or do you hire the limo taxi? I'm assuming the dog has to stay in the crate to get on the shuttle? Or not? She's a lab-sized dog so with crate and all, I doubt she'd fit, along with my luggage!

I guess we're not using a relo company since all the time-consuming stuff (ie vet certs) I have to do myself anyway. And I would like to see that she gets on my flight myself!

Any advice/suggestions/stories would really be appreciated!

to get to db, you should try to pre-order the limo service...it's more expensive but by far the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by soler:
    I'm guessing that once I clear customs myself, I'll have to go over to the cargo terminal and then is it self-explanatory??
    I had a cat, but it's all pretty self-explanatory. It's best to ask your airline directly for the full procedure when you check in your dog, then ask again (either airport officials, who are all very helpful, or your airline representatives) once you arrive at the airport, as they'll have the most updated information.

When we brought our dog over (ourselves) in August we pre-arranged a limo/van pickup. It is more expensive but it makes life much easier. There is quite a lot of information on the "clearing customs" process on the AFCD website including a map of the cargo terminals: AFCD Collection of Animals at Hong Kong International Airport

entering DB

hi, soler,

#1 Every Van can come to DB between 10:00a.m. to 6:00p.m and special application need to be done after 6:00p.m. ( not later than 7p.m.) You can call the tunnel company to arrange.

#2 HK Van (Shing Kee Van) Tel(852) 255 99999, to me , they are the cheapest and easy to book to DB all the time.

#3 Or, just ask anyone to drop you at Central Pier #3 (24 hours) and you can take the dog here at any time. Discovery bay ferry schedule

#4 Enjoy your stay here, my dogs love here so much.

hey thanks for all your replies!
    Very helpful...

how late do the customs people stay for pet clearance

hi
    Just wondering if anyone knows how late they do customs clearance of pets... I just want to make sure that my dog doesn't have to be kept overnight until the office opens again....

Thanks

Customs

Normally 10 or 11pm but if you phone them they will make a special arrangement and get someone to stay behind if you are picking up your dog.

When you get to the airport get a taxi to the Cargo Terminal - it wont take long but you cant walk it. Defo arrange the DB Limo service and give yourself about 1 1/2 hours to go through the process - they are pretty good and just lead me from place to place until eventually I picked up my dog. If you have a mobile phone and finish early the limo service may come and get you quicker if you phone them - depends on how busy they are.

Wish You Were Here

We use wywh and couldn't have had a better service - even delivery to my new home!

Quote Originally Posted by soler:
    hi
    Just wondering if anyone knows how late they do customs clearance of pets... I just want to make sure that my dog doesn't have to be kept overnight until the office opens again....

Thanks
    How did it go when you brought your dog to HKG?