Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Elegiaque

Inquiry

Closed Thread

Inquiry

Hi there, I’m looking to sell my ragdoll cat, I’ve post an ad but has been taken down not sure why because I’ve seen previous posts of other people selling their pets. I don’t think it’s illegal as I check AFCD website and says for cats that are single pets can be sold online. The restrictions is that unlicensed breeders can’t but I’m not a breeder I’m a pet owner.

The site editor will answer that question...

But you may find here different viewpoints on animals as pets and owners. Here (expat forum, English language), there may be a more prevalent view that living, sentient beings like companion animals (a ragdoll cat) are not commodities to be bought and sold. For me, for example, I believe we have a duty to first adopt, not shop for animals
    It may be seen by some (myself included) to be unethical to just sell off a cat. If your circumstances have changed, and your not able to honor your commitment to caring for this animal, who is solely dependent on you, then you should look for a caring family to help adopt it (for free), not sell.

There are many charities and the spca who can help you locate a caring family.

This is a problem, I think, with the pet trade. It fosters a naive view that you can just "pick up" and buy a living animal just like you would a handbag or coat. But in fact, it's a huge financial, time, and ethical commitment for many, many years! This is why good laws have been introduced in recent years to help. (there's other issues about breeders, unhealthy bought animals, etc, but that's not the point you're raising here...)

Many users on this forum have adopted animals and the site may have an adoption-only policy.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 31-07-2021 at 12:20 AM.
    Plutark and Peaky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrick:
    I’m not a breeder I’m a pet owner.
    Where did you import the cat from?