dog travel in china

Closed Thread

dog travel in china

does any one have any experience in relocating from hong kong to Guangzhou with dogs? Are there any easy ways for the dogs to travel freely between the two countries? Assume I have a private car that can cross the border?

as far as i know, it isn't too difficult to take dogs to china, but it is MUCH more difficult to bring them back.

i would talk to your vet LONG before you need to move. there could be injections etc that are needed months before you move.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    it is MUCH more difficult to bring them back.
    even if the dogs were originally from Hong Kong. it's almost like they have 3 stars on their dog tags.
    Last edited by lulumay; 17-02-2009 at 03:59 PM.

it has NOTHING to do with where they started, it has to do with where they have been, the diseases that they may have been exposed to etc. they are concerned with maintaining the health of all of the animals.

this is why the equestrian events for the olympics were in hk. it would have been too difficult to get the horses back OUT of china after the olympics if they had been shipped there instead of to hong kong.

the best thing to do is to call your vet. it is NOT like taking a dog from canada to the US on holiday. CHINA is a VERY different kettle of fish.

it could get VERY expensive to bring your dog back to hk.

thanks cara. i guess most pet owners that have exported their pets are now in china and no longer checking this website.

If anyone else is interested, HK AFCD requires a min 4 months of quarantine for dogs coming from their "Group III" countries. I believe I can avoid quarantine if i take the dogs to Canada or any other countries that do not have quarantine than back to hong kong.

as far as I am aware,
    the problem is that there is Rabies in China, but not in Hong Kong.
    So any dogs coming out of China would need to be in quarantine for a while.
    Phone the Agricultural and Fisheries department to ask?
    Or post on petdoctorforum (google it) and ask there, some vets there give fast feedback...

lulu... you may well face a quarantine in canada if the dog is coming from china.

just as for immigration of people, the rules are different for animals in mainland china and hong kong.

Canada doesnt have quarantine but wouldn't Hong kong government look at the places where the dogs'd been.

Last edited by thundacatchergo; 19-02-2009 at 10:32 AM.