White powder on path

Question White powder on path

My husband and I will be moving to HK in a few months and are bringing our two German Shepherds with us. We will be living on Tregunther Path, near the Old Peak Road walking path in Mid Levels. There is another path around the corner from the Peak path. It is unpaved, more of a true hiking path.
    We trekked down it a few weeks ago on a visit to see if it would be a good walk for the dogs and noticed areas were a white powder had been strategically placed. Most of it was on rocks next to the path. Does anyone know what this powder could be? My fear is that it could harm the dogs.

Thanks

Probably chalk route markings for hash races. Google Hash House Harriers if you're not familiar with the term

If you see bits of meat, worry! Could be from the poisoner.
    Two decades on, poisoner still dogs pet-mad Hong Kong

If you see white powder, dont worry:-)
    Most likely from the running guys who are running to where the cold beer is.
    Hashing in Hong Kong and China

HC

thanks

Good news that it is most likely a fun loving group of runners/drinkers marking a trail. That my dogs are used to! They are actually trained Pavlovian style to beg for a treat when I open a bottle of wine. Smart and over weight dogs.

I will stay clear of Bowen Path, scary stuff. My dogs are used to 16 acres of land for running, so any other help regarding how to exercise them would be appreciated.

Also, any one else with a shepherd out there? Are there helpers able to handle a well trained dog in general?

Thanks

There are 2 places to stay clear of:
    Bowen Road & Blacks Link - both have had poison attacks and warning signs are up on both of them to warn pet owners.

If you have an obedient dog you should not worry too much.
    We take our dog on both and have done so for years. Many others with dogs big and small continue to do so as well. You will normally find dog owners keeping a short leash on and sometimes even use a muzzle to prevent the dogs eating anything; many dogs just roam and run as well. As long as they are trained not to eat without permission, you should be safe.

BTW: Hong Kong is a lovely place for dogs if you head to the hills. Lots of trails and lots of areas to run around.
    On the flipside, HongKong can also be horrible for dogs as all public parks except for 3-4 disallow dogs.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by rsquared:

My dogs are used to 16 acres of land for running, so any other help regarding how to exercise them would be appreciated.

Are there helpers able to handle a well trained dog in general?
    In the country parks there are plenty of places to let dogs run. I find that a fair number of people are terrified of my large (and very well controlled) dogs, and I've found some less populated parts of the country parks to avoid "confrontations" while the dogs are off their leashes.

There are helpers that can take great care of big dogs, but you may need to interview a few and take them out with the dogs for a walk. When we were interviewing helpers, each and every one said that they liked and had experience with dogs, but when introduced to our dogs it was pretty obvious that they didn't. Our helper now is great with them, but there was a period of time that we had to spend teaching her the rules. She went to training classes with one of our dogs (already well trained dog) and things got a lot better after that. She said it helped her understand how they think. Anyway, good luck.

rsquared,

The path from Old Peak Road up to the Peak is great for dogs. Plenty of dog walkers everyday so it is quite safe. However if your dog likes to eat rubbish (the odd chicken bone, leaf, twig, etc) then you may want to keep an eye out on the first few walks. My beagle eats everything so I am now aware of where the "hot spots" are. For example, there's a ledge at the start of the pedestrian-only path where food is often left for the wild dogs/cats/birds - I have no idea why people would do that - but my dog often jumps up and gobble down what he can find. So I leash him for that section and then it's off leash again.

Once at the top of the Peak there is the morning trail for a nice walk (about 0.5-1 hour depending on speed) and halfway through there are a few options to veer off for a real hike. One of my favourites is the Pok Fu Lam Reservoir hike, it takes about an hour and it loops back up to the peak.

I doubt you will be able to find a large field for your dog to romp about but there is a nice open park at Pok Fu Lam called Cyberport Park which is a good alternative. The Hong Kong Dog Rescue's volunteers usually frequent the place to let the dogs offleash, but recently there have been cases of a dog poisoner (different from the one at Bowen Rd) putting a pufferfish into the water tubs. I still consider the park fairly safe as long as you can provide ample water for your dogs.

These are just the nearby options for you to consider. There are always plenty of hiking routes in the New Territories but I sometimes find it too troublesome to bring my dog all the way out there. HK island has plenty to offer, and who can forget Dragon's Back? Beautiful hike and the dogs love it, especially since the route ends at Tai Long Wan beach for them to cool off. Dogs are technically not allowed on the beach but during the cooler months where there are fewer people, I see responsible owners with their dogs at the corner of the beach (near the lighthouse, furthest from the cafe/restaurant).

Welcome to HK. I hope this helps!