New rules for apartments?

New rules for apartments?

Hi, I heard from somewhere that there's a new court ruling that says that buildings cannot have 'no pet' clauses anymore. My building does have such a clause, although the landlord said he was OK with our small dog. Has anyone heard about any legal breakthrough -- or has tips otherwise on how we might change the situation/what our rights are? I won't just 'smuggle' him in, but we miss our dog!

I don't know anything about a court ruling but the vast majority of buildings (other than government public housing) allow pets so if you're renting and your building is one of the few that doesn't allow pets then why not just rent somewhere else?

That said, even if they're technically not allowed, given that your landlord has already said he doesn't mind then as long as you're sensible it's probably not an issue anyway. Just make sure your dog doesn't bite anybody or shit in the lift.

Not a ruling about ownership per sea. The ruling related to changes in the Deed of Guarantee which allowed pet ownership and organizations ( new committee, service company or beneficial building owner ) trying to change things that went against the original deed.

You would have to look up your buildings by laws and the deed of guarantee to be sure. If you see other owners with dogs that might be a clue.

I know my building has a sign by the lifts saying no dogs. As I don't have one anyway it hadn't really registered, but I haven't seen any dogs in the building so presume it's in the building deed.

Seems odd though to single out dogs, but then I guess if you have a cat it usually stays indoors.

i usually ignore all building "house rules". I treat them more like suggestions or guidelines. We've been living in a no dog building complex for the past 4 years with 2 dogs.

as far as i am concern, the law is the only thing i abide to. My favorite message from the building management is "no piano playing early in the morning for more than 1 hour."