Which type of small-medium dog is best for apartments + breeders?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which type of small-medium dog is best for apartments + breeders?

We are getting a puppy in 2 months and I was wondering which type/breed of dog would be the best for an apartment.

I'm trying to avoid pet shops and I'm looking for breeders. (I am also going to the SPCA and the HKDR but they don't have much puppies available..will check when I visit)

Thank you!

sausauge dogs (cant think of its proper name), schanuazers, pomerian (dont know if thats how its spelt), pug etc. these type of breeds are better if you have apartments.

Do they sell jack russell terriers in hk? and Do you know where i can find a miniature pinscher?

oh and i just found out there is a dog adoption day every sunday from 2-5pm in ap lei chau

Quote Originally Posted by music337:
    Do they sell jack russell terriers in hk? and Do you know where i can find a miniature pinscher?
    Jack russell are good but very very active, they do need to run around a lot and have lots of energy being hunting dogs that they are.

copied from wiki "Their high energy and drive make these dogs ideally suited to a number of different dog sports such as flyball or agility. Obedience classes are also recommended to potential owners as Jack Russells can be stubborn at times and aggressive towards other animals and humans if not properly socialized (a process that should continue throughout their whole lives). Jack Russell Terriers can be very hyper. Despite their small size, these dogs are not recommended for the condominium or apartment dweller unless the owner is ready to take on the daunting task of providing the dog with the necessary amount of exercise and stimulation. These are truly a big dog in a small package, and most suffer from a "Napoleon complex", which can sometimes lead to trouble involving larger animals. The JRT owner must be aware of these tendencies and keep an eye out for trouble in many situations."

do they sell Cavalier King Charles Spaniel then? :P sorry for asking so many questions i just can't find them anywhere at all

Quote Originally Posted by music337:
    jack russell will eat all furniture ... you will go home one day and find your table with three legs only.

you are going to find almost every breed of dog for sale in hong kong.
    you should find a dog that is suit your lifestyle.
    spaniels, like most other over breed dogs, are prone to diseases. spaniels are also very active.

your best bet is to adopt a mixed breed. there is almost no reason to buy any pets.

Whatever you do, don't get a poodle. Used to work in an animal clinic for about 3 years and I'm ready to say that every poodle is a psycho.

Yorkshire Terriers live forever and seem to have very few breed-related illness. They are small and usually not to loud, and temperament seem mild enough.

Pomeranians and Chihuahuas are also small but tend to be very loud. The genetic pool of Poms in HK seem to have a lot of patella (knee cap) issues, I've seen many poms requiring surgery for both knees by age 3.

If you mean to keep them in air conditioned apartment most or all the time, pugs and french bulldogs have very lovely temperaments ... but they tend to have trouble breathing in the hot and humid climate so don't take them outside for too long. They (as well as Pekinese) are also prone to spinal issues so don't encourage too much jumping or standing upright like bipeds.

Oh, and don't get a whippet either... a friend of mine in Yuen Long has a whippet and just about killed himself trying to chase it home everyday after it jumped the fence for a bit of freedom. Eventually the owner got a german shepherd as "companion," the idea is that the GS would "herd" the whippet home, unfortunately, the whippet outruns the GS every time...

Thanks for the info..Yup I know I shouldn't get a poodle I dislike them anyway. I think a miniature schnauzer would be nice..or a medium schnauzer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast