Cat-proofing a high rise balcony. Any tips?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cat-proofing a high rise balcony. Any tips?

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are moving to a new apartment on the 19th floor of a large high rise complex with our two very active Burmese cats. Unlike our current apartment, the new one has a balcony. We'd really like our cats to be able to sit outside on the balcony and enjoy the sunshine, however we are worried about them falling off the balcony.

We don't want to have to worry about keeping the door closed all the time, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how we can make the balcony safer. Has anyone else had to do this?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

well I dont think the cat will fall down on purpose. Is it possible to put or make a screen??

If you look on

HK Alleycat Watch !

there is one bloke who can screen windows.

I live in Sai Kung and I got eventually found someone to fix treated wooden bars/rails along the top half of the balcony (drilling into metal and concrete) with a 2 and a half inch gap between each bar. It cost 8,000 HK. To do the same in aluminium would have cost 18, 000.

Ken Tsang
    2792 3279 but best to phone his mobile 6621 9821
    [email protected]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bsh; 01-05-2009 at 06:51 PM.

the slats seems to be wide enough for a cat to slip through.

maybe a net of some sort would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    the slats seems to be wide enough for a cat to slip through.

maybe a net of some sort would be better.
    cheaper and makes it look less like a prison.

I had considered chicken wire and netting but I thought plastic netting would become brittle within a year and I would still need it secured at the top and bottom. I wouldn't trust netting anyway if one of the cats slipped or decided to lunge at birds.

Since I'll be in the property for the next 3 years, and there'll be a cat multi-level 'playground' right against the railings, this was the best option for me.

Besides, I want to grow climbing plants, such as jasmine and wisteria.

Last edited by bsh; 01-05-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Surely it would be cheaper still just to get a new cat from animal rescue if they are stupid or suicidal enough to jump?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Surely it would be cheaper still just to get a new cat from animal rescue if they are stupid or suicidal enough to jump?
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bsh:
    I had considered chicken wire and netting but I thought plastic netting would become brittle within a year and I would still need it secured at the top and bottom. I wouldn't trust netting anyway if one of the cats slipped or decided to lunge at birds.

Since I'll be in the property for the next 3 years, and there'll be a cat multi-level 'playground' right against the railings, this was the best option for me.

Besides, I want to grow climbing plants, such as jasmine and wisteria.
    i'm confused - you installed those prison bars for so much money supposedly for your cats but then you're not really worried about them jumping over because there is an existing cat gym against the railings.

so it means that that those railings are really for you to grow your wisteria and other plants ?

How would they jump over?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast