Exporting cat to USA

Closed Thread

Exporting cat to USA

Hi - I'm trying to find out what it will take to move our cat home to the states in August. From what I've read on the airline (United), and USDA (department of agriculture) websites, it should be remarkably easy to import a cat to the US. No rabies vaccination required, no paperwork. Just pay an extra US$200 to United for cargo. I also checked the states we will be passing through (Illinois and Pennsylvania), and couldn't find any special requirements.

This seems way too easy. Is there anything I'm missing???

thanks!

Give Export-a-Pet, Creature Comforts veterinary or Ferndale Kennels or another company that does animal import export a call. They should be able to provide you with the list of requirements and a fee quote for taking care of everything, even if you don't actually intend to use their services.

That's about all it takes. I took our cat home on United on board the plane, rather than as cargo. Once I landed in San Francisco, ICE didn't even care about the fact that I had a cat with me, only if I had any cat food.

United or Cathay for kitty

Thanks for your responses.

I've talked with United and Cathay about handling our cat's move back to the US. They both sound about the same, except that United says that may deny an animal if it is more than 85 degrees F outside. On August 17th at noon, it is likely to be 85 degrees, so that doesn't sound too good.

Anybody have any experience moving pets with Cathay?

thanks,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by hkhokie:
    Thanks for your responses.

I've talked with United and Cathay about handling our cat's move back to the US. They both sound about the same, except that United says that may deny an animal if it is more than 85 degrees F outside. On August 17th at noon, it is likely to be 85 degrees, so that doesn't sound too good.

Anybody have any experience moving pets with Cathay?

thanks,
    Kevin
    Moved our pets from the US to HK on Cathay. They did a great job. Cargo employees in the US were very helpful and everything went smoothly. Several of the pet import/export companies we spoke with when planning the move recommended flying Cathay with animals as a first choice of airline because they have good procedures in place and handle lots of pets.

I sent my dog from UK to HK on Cathay years ago. Although I had to check her in 3 to 4 hours before departure, and she had to be on the cargo part of the plane during the flight, they did a pretty good job.

Cathy is really good. when you book your ticket just let them know you have a cat with you. they will make sure the cargo area tempeture is good for the cat. i've sent my doggies back and forth from hk to canada three times. so far so good. i think you have to make enquiry with HK agriculture department for applying an export licence of animal. i've done it for my dogs but not sure for the cat. but its easy and cheap you can do it yourself. also you can check with your airline on any specification of the cage and document they need before they accept your pet on the plane. US and Canada are no worries. they are all pet lovers once you landed, you will know the difference hehehe....

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTanaka:
    That's about all it takes. I took our cat home on United on board the plane, rather than as cargo.
    What was that like bringing your cat on board for such a long flight?

I'd much prefer to do that, but to have a carrier that fits under the seat in front of you seems impossibly small. Would be very interested to hear details on the carrier size and conditions (for litter, food, water).

Also how was your cat, was he/she howling the whole way? Any problems with other passengers? What class were you travelling? I've wondered if going business or first class means you can have a bigger carrier.

Actually, they won't take pets in business class (no place to stow them). Don't know about First, but I assume it's the same.

That's kind of ironic that economy class has room and business doesn't.