Arthritis - Glucosamine Supplement

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arthritis - Glucosamine Supplement

Hi. My old Border Collie is really struggling with an arthritic hip. He's had cartrophin injectons, anti-inflammatory meds and the Hills JD diet. They all work reasonably well, but does anyone know of a good and easy to access glucosamine supplement in HK? I am in the health field, so I know it has debatable benefits but if it's affordable, then I'm willing to give the old man some help...

Thanks in advance.

try here:

k9china.com - Health Care

site's mostly in Chinese though, but if you call, he speaks English well enough.

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 26-05-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Although I don't have any information about what you are looking for, but in the other post on arthritis, I mentioned some natural herbs for dogs, particularly Devils Claw. If you are interested, please check my other post and all the contact details are there. Good luck.

Hi. I just posted a reply in another thread about a glucosamine supplement from Australia who have a rep here in HK. The brand is Natural Science. Email for HK is - [email protected]

Wow. You guys are quick. Thanks for the referrals. I'll do some research...

Hi, while you've probably found an affordable source of glucosamine for your collie by now, I'll just post my bit here in case folks, also considering similar dietary supplements that might help with canine arthritis, want to compare.

First of all, I heard that glucosamine is supposed to work better when combined with chondroitin, so I've bought them together:

GNC brand - google URL (good range in larger Mannings stores in HK)

Glucosamine (250mg) & Chondroitin (200mg)
    [both sulphate forms] 90 softgel capsules
    Normal price HK$299.90; current sale $285.90

If just the gluco, then:

Glucosamine [sulphate] (550mg)
    30 softgel caps
    Normal price HK$88.90; current sale $79.90

Glucosamine [sulphate], PLUS Herbs & Nutrients
    [Devil's Claw, Yucca (anti-inflam.), selenium, magnesium, etc]
    60 softgel caps
    Normal price HK$229.90; current sale $199.90

I've got GNC member card, so get 20% discount off supplements every month (on only the first few days tho). Plus, I get an extra 5% off as well coz of Apita credit card. (That's why I prefer getting my fish oils, gluco+chond, etc, from that dept store with a mini-GNC counter, too!)

Several PET shops here also sell gluco etc, but, personally, I think that, perhaps, "human grade" is an insy bit better... (dunno). Anyways, I've checked, asked around: generally, prices aren't that much different, UNLESS, of course, you order online in bulk from "recognised brands" with mail-order service.

BTW, I'm sure - from your own research - you've gathered that the acceptable daily dosage depends on the weight of your dog. Don't follow usual bottle recommendations. (Consult vet if in any way unsure.)

Wish you & ya furry friend the best

Last edited by emmie; 30-05-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Hi,
    I order my meds from the UK or actually they are based in Jersey (healthspan) so tax free. Any amount you order, it only costs £4 for delivery internationally. They have a good number of pet vitamins which includes one call flexi joints for pets.

Typical values per tablet:
    Optiflex Glucosamine HCl ....................400mg
    Chondroitin Sulphate ......................75mg
    Calcium Ascorbate (Vitamin C) .........50mg
    Vitamin E ....................................10iu

Flexi-Joints for Dogs for Healthy Canine Joints | VetVits Pet Health | Developed by Vets

Depending on the size of your dog, you give between 1-4 tablets a day. While a box of 120 tablets costs £6.95 or 240 for £11.95

I don't usually buy my vits or pet vits from hk as they are expensive. I rather buy it from healthspan. Have a look.

i've used the MC joint for my older doggies. it seems good response on all my old doggies. but i think the aqua therapy is more effective for them. there is a new therapy open in Kowloon tong near festival walk. one of my big dog is there. so far so good. Pet pet group please check them up Pet Pet Club they have good monthly package and a mobil truck to any dog owner have difficult transportation concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Pet lover:
    i've used the MC joint for my older doggies. it seems good response on all my old doggies. but i think the aqua therapy is more effective for them. there is a new therapy open in Kowloon tong near festival walk. one of my big dog is there. so far so good. Pet pet group please check them up Pet Pet Club they have good monthly package and a mobil truck to any dog owner have difficult transportation concern.
    Hi Petlover. By "aqua therapy" do you mean like physiotherapy, or a luxurious bath? I'm really interested in finding a clean place where my arthritic golden retriever can do non weigh-bearing exercises. Can you please give me the name, number or address of this place in Kowloon Tong? Thanks very much!

I have one unopened bottle of glucosamine 1500mg with MSM 1500mg (375 tablets) & 3/4 full bottle as well. We brought them from the states; the brand is Kirkland Signature (generic brand from warehouse type store called Costco). We were giving a tablet to our dog (boxer) as well, but he is now 10.5yrs old & doesn't have much longer

The pills are actually for humans, but our vet back in the states said it was fine to give our dog. Our dog is allergic to yeast, which was found in most dog specific glucosamine pills.

If you'd like these bottles let me know, I will give them both to you for $70 HKD.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast