Cost and time to take dog from HK back to Australia

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sorry Jereb it might be $30 AUD per night at the quarantine facillity.. It used to be published on the AQIS website, but I can't find it now?

Good luck..

Lali 07: Your info is very helpful, but do you know how far in advance u can have the blood tests done? I ask this because i don't think i will be leaving HK for a long time but i am debating on getting my dogs tested now so i will be prepared, however, if i do it now but decide to leave in say 3 years will i have to go through the process again?

Thanks

i believe the time frame is 6 months.

Hi Flo_Sanj,

If I'm understanding the Australian Quarantine rules correctly:

- 6 months must pass from the time the dog has had the rabies antibody test (RNATT - to check their rabies vaccine worked) to the time they can be released from quarantine in Australia. If you get this test done here in Hong Kong 5 months before you leave, your dog only needs to stay in quarantine in Australia for the ramining 1 month (to make up the 6 month requirement).

- For shorter notice cases, 2 months must have passed from the time of the RNATT test to the time the dog can be brought into Australia. Then the dog must do 4 months in quarantine to make up the 6 month requirement. *I used to think that theoretically you could get the test done then go to Australia almost immediately and have the dog do the full 6 months in quarantine - not the case*

- The RNATT test results cannot be more than 12 months old. We had our doggie tested just in cased we had to leave urgently, and even though her certificate has no expiry date on it, only the test date, I think if its more than 12 months old you need to get another one done. We will do this every year, to be on the safe side so we always have a valid certificate.

- Even though Hong Kong only requires dogs to be vaccinated against rabies every three years, dogs being brought to Australia need to have had one in the past year.

I hope this information is correct, I would hate to give wrong info and affect your ability to take your dog with you, so double check on the below site.

There are also other, less time consuming things like microchipping etc that need to be done to bring a dog to Australia, they are explained on the below site too.

http://www.daffa.gov.au/__data/asset...on-package.doc

I know it sounds like a lot of hoo-ha that you have to go through, but so long as you have more than 6 months notice you shouldn't have any problems taking your dog back to Australia. As soon as you know, get in touch with a reputable pet-relocation service, this is what they do so they know it inside out and probably make it look easy!

Cheers,

Lali

There is an article in the Post Magazine (South China Morning Post) today on "start early to avoid distress when moving overseas with animals" - there is a bit on bringing pets home to Australia.