Dogs and Hot Weather

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

not unless the owner wanted to "get rid" of his dogs...

did they forget to bring water for their dog???

Quote Originally Posted by Feebz:
    Sad news... I hate ppl who dun try to understand the limitation of 'our dear frds'. They can't say to you "Oh man, are u nuts to take me for a hike today? .... Oh im dehydrating... Oh im gonna pass out..." He should try to put on a fury coat for his next hike and see what happens.

I keep feeding my schnauzer with ice after the news. -_-
    Local friends told me about this story, flashed on late-night Chinese news. Apparently, in the clip, the owners had been hiking with their goldies in Sai Kung for past three hours in the 30+ degrees C heat. Perhaps they underestimated how fast they'd ALL go through their litres of water... (Sweat just pours off me, and into my eyes, when I'm out there!) Perhaps it all happened suddenly. Perhaps... BUT let's not assume too much. Very SAD.

A thread or two on the main Chinese-language forums have reflected just as much dismay - disbelief, mixed with anger - as has so far been expressed on here. And, perhaps, word will get round - a reminder - to all to keep a closer eye on our all-too-eager-to-bound-forth friends while outdoors in these sweltering temps.

I know I need to communicate a firm, instant "No" to my four-legger every time she tries dragging our walk WAY out longer in GLARING sun, even as her floppy tongue's dangling desperately off side and her (and my) body's beginning to bake

BTW, Feebz - Have tried wee handfuls of mostly melting ice cubes on our dog 10mins into regular stroll - she absolutely LOVES it. Great idea.
    Last edited by emmie; 22-06-2009 at 02:48 PM.

One of the big problems with dogs is that they don't sweat which one of the ways humans control their body temperature, it's done by respiration which is why they are always panting. They are therefore sensitive and vulnerable to heat and humidity and if they are not trained, hiking and exercise is just as hard for them.

We use to run 20km on hot days with my friends dog and he did well but he ran often and he would jump in water at least a couple of times during the run and have at least one drink break.

I think it's great that pet owners take their dogs to exercise, so many are confined in apartments and have little opportunity to run around which in my mind is just as much torture. Owners just need to be more mindful about the needs of their pet but that would mean actually thinking about something else besides themselves...

how sad. i usually leave the AC on for my dog. Also if she wants to go outside for a walk i water her down first.

According to Wikipedia, dogs do sweat - through the pads on their paws.

Interestingly, the article also states that panting is far more efficient than sweating, as the skin is already the coolest part of the skin and so the temperature gradient is lower. Sweating is also affected by high humidity, such as we see in HK.

In addition, dogs have a kind of heat exchanger in their necks, which cools blood headed to the brain and decreases the risk of heat exhaustion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigga:
    According to Wikipedia, dogs do sweat - through the pads on their paws.

Interestingly, the article also states that panting is far more efficient than sweating, as the skin is already the coolest part of the skin and so the temperature gradient is lower. Sweating is also affected by high humidity, such as we see in HK.

In addition, dogs have a kind of heat exchanger in their necks, which cools blood headed to the brain and decreases the risk of heat exhaustion.
    True that they sweat through their paws(and nose) but that doesn't really help much in regulating heat. Panting is very efficient but it also means that they lose a lot of water in the process which needs to be replenished.

Another interesting bit I came across is that it seems that short coat dogs or dogs that have been sheared are more inclined to suffer heatstroke because they have lost their insulation and since they don't sweat, it doesn't really increase their ability to lose heat...

Edited out...

When I go for a run up the peak with my beagle, I bring a full bottle of water and pour it on his head and back every 10 minutes (or less!).

I find the best way to cool a dog down is by dunking his paws in water. The Pok Fu Lam trail has a few streams along the way - it's perfect for the pooches to cool off a bit.

Panting also increases body temperature.