AROMATHERAPY FOR CATS- URGENT!

Closed Thread

AROMATHERAPY FOR CATS- URGENT!

HI DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ORANGE AND MARJORAM ESSENTIAL OILS ARE SAFE FOR CATS? I READ ON SOME WEBSITES AROMATHERAPY ARE SAFE, AND SOME SAYS NONE ARE, SOME SAYS SOME OILS ARE....SO I'M REALLY CONFUSED.

ANYONE CAN HELP??? I'M TALKING ABOUT THE ONES FOR LIGHTING ON TOP OF A CANDLE. THANKS.

I think, but I'm no expert, that the oils you use to burn on top of those ceramic burners are usually different from aromatherapy oils used in massage. Which means that they haven't been designed for application on the body (human or feline).

If you're certain that the oils you're using in the burner are medicinal-grade, so to speak, then the next question is what has the cat done with the oil? Have you given it an oil massage, or has it knocked the oil over and got some on itself or has it drunk the oil?

If the oil has been ingested or is in the cat's eye, then take it to the vet. When you pay the vet's bill, make a mental note to keep oils out of the cat's way in future (easier said than done, I know!).

If the oil is on the fur and the cat hasn't licked it all off yet, then try giving it a bath (good luck). When you pay the doctor's bill for treating scratches, bites, innoculation against rabies and cat-scratch fever, make a mental note to keep oils out of the cat's way in future.

It's been six hours since you posted your question, so if the cat is looking and behaving as normal, probably it's all ok now. If the aromatherapy oils are the ones designed for massage and therapeutic treatments, then I wouldn't worry too much because they're generally pure. If it's just a scented liquid with essential oils and other perfumes in it designed to make your room smell nice, then a visit to the vet is probably worth it.

Different aromatherapists have different views about essential oils and cats. From what I've gathered so far, at lot of the essential oils are alright for cats if it is burned. But you need an area where the cat can go, away from the smell if he's had enough. Also, only put 1 drop of the oil rather than 2 or 3 drops on the water of the burner. Less is better than too much.

The organic version of the 100% pure essential oils are probably a better choice. I'll use orange rather than marjoram. You can "ask" your cat and see what smell he likes. Unscrew the cap of the essential oil and put it a short distance in front of your cat. See if he walks forward towards the cap (a sign of liking the smell) or runs away (a definite dislike). Then you can use the smell he likes.

I use essential oils in a base oil to massage my dogs. But I don't do that on my cats.

There may be people who don't agree on what I say. At the end of the day, you'll have to do what you think is best for your cat.

Last edited by dumbo; 01-07-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Hi Katiedot and dumbo,

Thanks for your responses. I'm only talking about lighting them to burn. Aren't all essential oils 100% pure? (not organic but pure?)

I'm planning to use orange too (seems safer?) but I heard we have to use with caution for cats...even more than dogs...so I just want to make sure it will be safe. I heard for some oils the cats's liver can't really digest it....so I'm not sure if that applies to ALL oils or just SOME essential oils will be safe.....

DUMBO ANY REASON YOU CHOOSE ORANGE OVER MARJORAM?

DO U KNOW IF THEY CAN BE MIXED IF NOT FOR CATS? SAY FOR HUMANS ? YOU ARE AN AROMATHERAPIST?

dumbo, any reason you choose orange over marjoram? do u know if majoram and orange can be mixed if for humans not for cats?

how much water do i put in? i've never lit one before...as i n the proportion since you suggested 1 instead of 2-3 drops.
    are you an aromatherapist?
    by an area where the cat can go away..two different rooms with windows open will be good enough?

thanks again!

Nope, all oils AREN'T the same. The ones you use for massage tend to be only a carrier oil and an essential oil blended together.

The ones you burn can be anything from just the pure essential oil itself to a blend of liquids, essential oils (in small quantities) and other chemicals and perfumes. Generally, the cheaper the oil is, the more doubtful what's in it.

If all you're concerned with is what could happen to the cat when you heat up the oil in a burner then don't worry.