Like Tree23Likes

Doberman guard dogs

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

For the OP:

Please also note that many burglars poison dogs to get around them - a quick and quiet way to deal with them. I know several people here in HK who have had their dogs (including large guarding types) poisoned in the home prior to a break in. I've heard of many more cases of dog poisonings in the home while volunteering for animal welfare agencies here. I'm not saying that a dog isn't somewhat of a deterrant, but it is pretty easy for even an unsophisticated criminal to get around.

Regarding breed/ type of dog - you seem to suggest that you are looking for a true guard dog to patrol your property. Getting a pup and training it yourself to roam around for intruders / protect your property will not likely work unless you have extensive experience in training guarding dogs...the process is very time consuming and expensive. If you just want a dog to bark if it sees something unusual, not sure why you have picked the two breeds that you have.

Also, even a mean looking big dog won't necessarily protect your place. Until a dog is actually challenged you really can't predict how it will react. There are plenty of scardy cat type German shepherds, dobermans, etc. out there and this is a trait you cannot necessarily pick out from puppyhood. True "guarding" dogs are trained for years and numerous dogs "flunk" out of guard dog school because they lack the temperment.

Last edited by hello_there; 16-09-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Not all dobermans have the "guard dog" instinct. I know of some dobes which are so gentle they seem more like golden retrievers! Then again, I also know of some goldies which are so aggressive that they have to be put down.

Like so many members have mentioned already, training a true guard dog takes a LOT of time and dedication, not to mention the already time-consuming part of taking the dogs out for walks and exercise. You will also want a guard dog that will not attack you (or family members and friends) so you will need a lot of discipline and training yourself, to act and behave a certain way towards the dog.

I see many German Shepherds in HK but this is a breed that will cost you half your life savings, with their inherent genetic problems like hip dysplasia, Perianal Fistulas, bone diseases, stomach disorders. They are truly one of the riskiest breeds. Just ask any dog insurance agents!

You may want to take all these points in consideration before getting a dog.

I sincerely believe that getting a dog that looks imposing will do the trick. Many dogs at the Hong Kong Dog Rescue are mixed-breeds and some of them with their pointy ears and "German Shepherd-looks" will be a deterrent to any burglar.

isn't there a local superstitious belief that it's bad luck to hit someone in the head with a broom because it will bring them years of bad luck?

use this technique to ward off the intruder and bestow to him/her a thousand years bad luck .

much better then to keep a broom by your bed side rather than a kukri eh?

Last edited by Star Gazer; 16-09-2009 at 03:47 PM.

I purchased my dog from the company, and they delivered it to Hong Kong with a trainer. The trainer stayed for 2 days and made sure i was comfortable with the use and interaction with the dog. The dog i purchased was a 2 year old Belgiam Malinois that was titled in the French Ring competition sports. He was young enough to still bond very strong with my family, but old enought to be very well trained. He is trained in food refusal, so I do not need to worry about him taking food from other people.

He is a very strong deterrant, but at the same time my kids love playing with him. My experience has been very positive, and I am very happy with my choice.

There are lots of things to consider when purchasing one of these dogs. The first is the price, they are outrageously expensive! But when it comes to an early warning system and a first line of defence, there is nothing better. The truth is that most criminals will move on to the next house when they see you have a dog that is well trained and means business. Criminals are dumb, but they arent that dumb. They will move down the street, or to the next block.

Quote Originally Posted by Immrlucky:
    I purchased my dog from the company, and they delivered it to Hong Kong with a trainer. The trainer stayed for 2 days and made sure i was comfortable with the use and interaction with the dog. The dog i purchased was a 2 year old Belgiam Malinois that was titled in the French Ring competition sports. He was young enough to still bond very strong with my family, but old enought to be very well trained. He is trained in food refusal, so I do not need to worry about him taking food from other people.

He is a very strong deterrant, but at the same time my kids love playing with him. My experience has been very positive, and I am very happy with my choice.

There are lots of things to consider when purchasing one of these dogs. The first is the price, they are outrageously expensive! But when it comes to an early warning system and a first line of defence, there is nothing better. The truth is that most criminals will move on to the next house when they see you have a dog that is well trained and means business. Criminals are dumb, but they arent that dumb. They will move down the street, or to the next block.
    All immrlucky's classified ads. User #216783.

SPAMMER

Spammer?

This guy is asking about buying a guard dog. do any of you actually have any experience with a guard dog, or are you just making wild guesses. I purchased one, and am relaying my experience to him. What he chooses to do with that info is totally up to him.

I chose to take a proactive stance in the defence of myself and my family. Instead of amking excuses and saying that all violence is bad and we should just accept what other choose to do to us I SAY NO.

I am not going to be a victim, I am not going to lay down and let others injur my family and destroy my property. I am not going to let my family be afraid.

I don't have to have the best security in the world, but if i lived next door to you, and a criminal was walking down the street, which house is more likley to be broken into.

I bought a dog, and am very happy with him. He plays with my kids, is very obedient, and has the extra element of protection built in. I think a protection dog is the best active form of security that is readily available. I will put my dog against your security camera any day of the week.

Although i guess your camera will help catch the guy after he rapes your wife.

Uh, no, you're advertising your own website!

its not my website. when i was looking to purchase a dog i looked at 2 other companies: scotts police k9's, and canine protection international. the deciding factor to me was price. Canine Protection International was way too expensive, but Scotts K9 had some great dogs.

The big deciding factor for me was that i wanted to be proactive in my security. No matter where you buy a dog, insist that they come to you to deliver it. When you are in your home with a trainer, and the dog, the acclimation period is a lot lower, and the transition is a lot smoother.

I understand you want someone in HK to fly you out so you can have a holiday, Chris, but click this link and you'll see how I know that you're the owner of the site:

All immrlucky's classified ads. User #216783.

This is you, right?

Myers, Chris [email protected]
    Creative Marketing Solutions Inc.
    CMS Inc.
    P.O.Box 161
    Provo, Utah 84603
    United States
    (888) 335-3033 Fax -- (801) 375-3487

Or maybe CMS put your website up for you and you're the one advertising your own site...Provo sounds like a pretty small town. Is Michael a buddy of yours? lol

I see the Osmonds grew up and live in your city. Are you a fan, Chris?

The other alternative is that someone at CMS is trying to drum up traffic for protectiondogbroker.com, but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure it's you, Chris.

Myers, Chris
    Job title:
    Owner

Company:
    Creative Marketing Solutions

450 N University Ave, Ste 101

Provo, UT 84601-2899

(801) 375-2800

Looks like Chris owns CMS. Maybe CMS owns protectiondogbroker.com and the dog business, or the spamming is CMS's way of increasing traffic for the site's real owner. Care to come clean bud?

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 17-09-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Wow, thanks jayinhongkong! That's some great detective work. heehee.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast