Survey of Hong Kong Dog Owners

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Survey of Hong Kong Dog Owners

STOP is carrying out a survey of Hong Kong dog owners to help understand HK’s views on dogs.

If you own a dog, please help them by completing the survey on this link (and by forwarding it to your dog owning friends):

HK Dog Owner Survey

FYI. This survery is for people who bought dogs from pet shops or breeders, if your dog is from a shelter then its not much use. most of the answers will be Not Applicable.

Although a lot of the questions are not relevant if you adopted your dog, we would still like owners of adopted dogs to complete it too - one of the things we want to try to gauge is how many dogs are adopted as opposed to being bought. We need hundreds and ideally thousands of responses to get a statistically valid response. There are also other general questions which apply to all owners.

(FYI there is a Chinese lang version which is being sent out separately)

PS Wtbhotia, thanks for filling it in!

who / what is STOP?

STOP

STOP (previously known as the Hong Kong No Kill City Forum) is an HK NGO working to persuade the Hong Kong Government to control/limit the surplus of companion animals, as well as educate the general public about how to prevent the surplus.

As background, Hong Kong's main method of dog and cat population control is to kill the surplus. That means about 2000 animals (often healthy) animals a month or 25,000 a year are killed, for the simple fact that they do not have a home.

This cruel and inhumane policy has been used for decades and is obviously ineffective.

For more info, please visit STOP - Save HK's Cats and Dogs or join STOP's group on facebook

AIP - Submitted my survey responses there. Just took a few mins.

Like what you're doing. Keep it up
    ___

Once in a while, when in the vicinity of clusters of pet shops - say, in Mong Kok and Causeway Bay - I'm often appalled at some of the poor conditions that a few of the animals are kept in.

Just days ago, I saw one very young husky dog, with the bluest, luminous eyes, which was clearly distressed in its tiny box-cage in this cramp, stuffy shop. It kept pacing, twisting and turning this way and that, displaying anxiety/fear, as lots of people drew close, gawping at it. In the cage next door, his wee beagle neighbour was yelping and pawing repeatedly at the plastic window, and in the back corner, small lumps of faeces could be seen. I alerted the nearest shopgirl that 'that mess should be cleaned up right away'. She seemed shocked that I'd actually say anything out loud, but she did it, sulkily.

I haven't any 'solutions', so it's all just words. Words don't get you anywhere far, eh... And this is another complicated issue amongst MANY - NOT unique to HK. Still... saddens me to see what goes on in some of these 'businesses'; and I find myself unconsciously not wanting to go down these 'pet' streets as much anymore. (And, yeah, I've seen lots worse up in parts of the mainland... but let's not go there.)

Last edited by emmie; 23-09-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Emmie (and others)

Thanks for your support. When there are specific campaigns that the public can get involved in, I'll post them on the forum.

In terms of what we can do for now... everyone can play a small part by spreading the word to "adopt don't shop" and encouraging friends and family to consider a mixed breed pup or an older dog from one of the many shelters. And by telling them the truth about the conditions in the pet shops, and the pet trade (won't go into details here but if you haven't heard of puppy mills, there's plenty of info on line). Also if you know anyone who has a dog that hasn't been desexed, urge them to do so.

Mixed breed dogs are wonderful. Why get a dog that looks just like everyone else's, when you can get a one of a kind Hong Kong original - a dog as unique as you are!

I bought my puppy from a pet shop in Won Tai Sin. My dog has not had any ilness or sickness. My dog is so healthy. The only thing that was an issue is it wasn't microchipped. Which I didn't know was illegal. I had no issue until the vet was telling me that not to trust the vaccination card and to get a 4th vaccination to be sure. This made me feel sick to the stomach.

On the other hand, I looked at dogs that were from a 'breeder' and these dogs were malnourished, had ringworm and also had major confirmation faults for the breed I was looking at, one of the pups couldnt even walk properly due to its hip displasure.

So I am not sure how to rate the industry in Hong Kong.

Maybe I was lucky, but then again being experienced with dogs I know what to look for and look out for when it comes to picking a pup.

Pandabearest, I think you were just really lucky. It's great that your dog is healthy; too many of my friends' dogs purchased from pet shops ended up really ill and as a result, huge vet bils.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast