Liver, kidney, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Liver, kidney, etc.

Since arriving from Europe, my dog has become a very finicky eater. I've managed to find a formula that works, though, being minced beef with a small amount of minced lamb, a little kidney and liver, and Acana biscuit.

My problem, now, is where on earth do I buy liver (chicken or calf) and kidney (lamb or other) and would love to get him the odd heart (beef or lamb). I've been taking a very expensive route - fresh from Olivers - as there seems to be very little of this sort of thing available. Please don't send me to the fresh meat market, the smell there (no matter summer or winter) makes me gag.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Fiona in HKG; 27-10-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling error

ask these people, they may have some animal "spare parts" for you

meatmarket.hk

South Stream Seafoods Fish, Meat, Cheese and Organics Online Store

southstream has pet food too
    http://www.south-stream-seafoods.com.../Pet+Food.html

or just go to your local park n shop or wellcome.

Last edited by Star Gazer; 27-10-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks stargazer, I did notice the pet food at south-stream but I'm not really one for those packs, they tend to be very fatty as they're offcuts. Might try mixing it in with his leaner meat though

I tried the huge Taste at Tung Chung yesterday thinking I'd definitely find something there, but came away with only a pound of ox-tails (which he also loves as a treat).

Years ago my mum used to get ox heart for the family dogs, but that was from Asia Provisions, who no longer seem to have retail outlets any more.

I'll keep trawling around, and thanks for the pointers.

I've seen a large meat retailer on the corner of Leighton Road and some other road but never been in - has anyone been in there?

Thanks!

Why not just bite the bullet and go to the wet markets? They have everything and are actually really helpful - since you have to ask for what you want, you might want to have it written down in Chinese but I found (even in Tuen Mun!) that quite a few spoke good english and gave me the cut I wanted (for me, not a pet) and the prices were significantly lower than the supermarket.

Personally, I find the idea of buying food for my dog in Olivers to be pretty funny but I guess it takes all sorts. I doubt the animal will refuse to eat to the point of starvation so perhaps just persevering with the cheaper and more available forms of food might also be a worthwhile option.

Oliver's for dog food, bloody hell. Not sure where you live, but the butchers around Wan Chai market would I am sure be able to help you.

After a few days of hunger, your dog will eat an old boot, never mind dog food.

If it is so spoiled that only certain cuts will suffice, the wet market is the answer.

Hey now, I only got a small amount of chicken liver and a three lamb kidneys (actually they were a good price!!) to mix in and yes, he was starving himself prior to finding the 'mix'. Wouldn't eat anything at all for a week, to the point I put him on appetite stimulants which are actually anti-depressants for five days to get something into him. I refuse to have him living like that though so if it takes a few extra-tasty bits out of Olivers, so be it.

I can't do the wet markets, I do retch, I think the only way I could do it would be with two vick's sticks up my nostrils!! The scent of chau dau fu, however, is lovely to me, being one of my favourite smells of my home town.

Thanks for the tips, perhaps in January, if there's a freezing cold day, I'll give it a go....

Your dogs done a good job of training you hasn't he?

I purchase meat for my cats at the wet market or at one of the frozen meat centers (e.g. Kai Bo), which aren't nearly as stinky. They've not yet been sick, though they are losing their kitty kibble weight (thankfully!).

Hi Hokuto

Where is Kai Bo?

I hear you about the kibble weight, the dog was in the same boat!

Take care

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast