Best place for Dogs?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place for Dogs?

Been here for three years now, the wife and I, but we've never really spent that much time looking for places that are pet friendly. That said, we've decided to get a dog but we really want to live in a place where there are concrete-less places to walk them and where there's a vet nearby. I'm hearing that there are three places that could work:

1) Discovery Bay (obviously)
    2) Park Island
    3) Clearwater Bay

Any input on these areas as relates to dog ownership? Also, how's the commute from Clearwater Bay- better or worse than Discovery Bay?

You don't say where you are commuting to but I assume it's HK Island / Central.

Park Island and DB are limited in terms of accessible vets. For walks, unless you want to leave Park Island, you'll be doing the same walks over and over.

You'll find plenty of dogs and owners in all 3 locations. It's really down to personal choice and what your budget will get you in each place.

There are loads of dog owners living all over HK, and if it's in your budget and to your taste, you might want to consider Midlevels, for example Conduit Road - if you live near to Hatton Road, there are no end of wonderful walks you can go on with your dog.

And can I just put in a plea that when you do find the right place, you adopt rather than buy. Second hand dogs are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by AIP:
    You don't say where you are commuting to but I assume it's HK Island / Central.

Park Island and DB are limited in terms of accessible vets. For walks, unless you want to leave Park Island, you'll be doing the same walks over and over.

You'll find plenty of dogs and owners in all 3 locations. It's really down to personal choice and what your budget will get you in each place.

There are loads of dog owners living all over HK, and if it's in your budget and to your taste, you might want to consider Midlevels, for example Conduit Road - if you live near to Hatton Road, there are no end of wonderful walks you can go on with your dog.

And can I just put in a plea that when you do find the right place, you adopt rather than buy. Second hand dogs are the best!
    Yes, we'd be commuting to HK Island (Central), and YES- we're definitely going to get ours from Hong Kong Dog Rescue. Thanks for the info!

HK Island would be my last choice, better picks would be:

1. Sai Kung
    2. Sha Tin
    3. New Territories

we love happy valley. there is great little dog park up the hill. there is a nice wide sidewalk around the race course - a good 40 minutes walk with not a lot of pedestrians around. you can also track out to the stadium. bowen road is just up the hill - it can lead to the peak (3 hours round trip) and wan chai gap park which leads to aberdeen country park. you can also head up the parkview with a $30 taxi ride which most of hong kong island country park is at your disposal. then there is the wan chai dog park which we never go.

Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo:
    we love happy valley. there is great little dog park up the hill. there is a nice wide sidewalk around the race course - a good 40 minutes walk with not a lot of pedestrians around. you can also track out to the stadium. bowen road is just up the hill - it can lead to the peak (3 hours round trip) and wan chai gap park which leads to aberdeen country park. you can also head up the parkview with a $30 taxi ride which most of hong kong island country park is at your disposal. then there is the wan chai dog park which we never go.
    Many thanks- yours was an opinion I'd not heard before in terms of dog ownership and I've since talked to some friends who say you're right on the money. Thanks, will check out Happy Valley as well

sai kung is FANTASTIC for dogs. there are a number of vets in town as well as numerous shops for stocking up on gear.

db is also GREAT for dogs, although, in many ways much busier... more foot traffic to be aware of when walking your pooch.

commute would be totally dependant upon where you are commuting. if you work in central, then i'd say db is a MUCH more pleasant commute. if you are in clearwater bay, then you minibus to mtr and then train to central. if in sai kung, it would be the same as clearwater bay.

ps> i've lived in all three places, although clearwater bay was YEARS ago before dogs and even before MTR to hang hau.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    sai kung is FANTASTIC for dogs. there are a number of vets in town as well as numerous shops for stocking up on gear.

db is also GREAT for dogs, although, in many ways much busier... more foot traffic to be aware of when walking your pooch.

commute would be totally dependant upon where you are commuting. if you work in central, then i'd say db is a MUCH more pleasant commute. if you are in clearwater bay, then you minibus to mtr and then train to central. if in sai kung, it would be the same as clearwater bay.

ps> i've lived in all three places, although clearwater bay was YEARS ago before dogs and even before MTR to hang hau.
    Thanks for your reply. Personally, I'd LOVE to live in Sai Kung but my wife works in Exchange Square and I can barely get her up on time enough for that (she's not a morning person)- and we live REALLY close to there.

From all that I've read and heard, it seems like I'm leaning toward Disco Bay or Happy Valley, with Park Island running a distant third.

you should also check out cyber port.

We also live in Happy Valley with two dogs. Lots of dogs and vets around here, but as far as green areas for walking, I would disagree a bit with the previous poster. Yes, there are accessible green areas, but (depending on where you live in HV) they may not be conveniently close enough for daily walks.

But why green areas anyway? Our girls (toy dogs) actually preferred the hustle and bustle of Causeway Bay over the more quiet and subdued Happy Valley. They loved the crowds and the attention they always got. They seem a bit bored in HV now, lol.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast