No luck in waiting for The One Dog from shelters.. What else other than petstore?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I got bitten by a Chihuahua the other week. Definitely not my first choice of breed. Sadly I can't impose my lifestyle on a dog (funny work hours plus plenty of travel).

Otherwise do try the fostering scheme

Having met my fair share of Chihuahuas, I don't really think they are any more snappy than pekes, poms, rotties, mongrel/mixed breeds, german shepherds or any number of breeds. i think it's just a suprise to see something so small with such attitude... a bit lit jockeys and the small bloke syndrome, maybe??

I do have another shih tzu in mind. I saw her when I visited HKDR over a month ago. She's the saddest little dog. Apparently her owners of more than 10 years have decided to get rid of her. Poor thing. To this day I'm still thinking of her. I'm not sure exactly why but I still have this doubt at the back of my head about adopting her. But aww she's still at the shelter..

I don't want to rush into something unplanned without fulling considering it first. I went in with the thought of adopting a chihuahua, and if I happened to fall in love with a shih tzu, I just have to do the planning over again. Because I was never a big fan of shih tzu. I'm still not attracted to other shih tzu's, this one is kinda special.. I don't know..! I guess if I'm not 100% sure then I better take the time to make sure first.

Last edited by biubiubiu; 03-12-2009 at 07:03 PM.

biubiubiu,

you might want to consider a mixed breed dog. we now have two. i grew up with dogs and these are the best dogs ever. we have a very chinese street dog and bull / beagle mix (we think). it just amazing to discover their instincts and the behavior from the breeds they are from. its always something new and it adds a new dimension to their character. the lab we used to have was always an lab, pretty much from day 1. no doubt about it down to every single hereditary disease from hip dysplasia to cataracts. but we our bull / beagle (name is shelby), she'll act just like a beagle for 1 minute and a bull for another. the great thing is, you'll never know what you are going to get and when you get it. With shelby, she didnt start howling like a beagle until she is 3. And apparently they have a smaller chance of getting hereditary diseases.

i wish you good luck in finding the perfect dog.

beabull

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkQS8tmzSw"]YouTube- Tonka French Bulldog Beagle mix[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo:
    ...she'll act just like a beagle for 1 minute and a bull for another. the great thing is, you'll never know what you are going to get and when you get it. ..apparently they have a smaller chance of getting hereditary diseases.
    yeah, so instead of hereditary diseases you get a schitzo dog that is bi-polar and has personality disorders

(before we get those red blobs going, I am joking)

it' a shame one actually has to write such a disclaimer...

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    yeah, so instead of hereditary diseases you get a schitzo dog that is bi-polar and has personality disorders
    LOL that just about sums up one of my guys. He's a pug / boston terrier / peke cross with a bit of doberman, pointer and yorkie thrown in for a laugh (we know because we had a DNA breed test done on him). He's funny and cute and ridiculously stubborn and looks like Yoda from Star Wars.

The great thing about these mutts is that you get a dog as unique as you are. It's like getting haute couture instead of getting something off the peg from the high street that isn't particularly well made. Be a trend setter instead of following the crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by AIP:
    LOL that just about sums up one of my guys. He's a pug / boston terrier / peke cross with a bit of doberman, pointer and yorkie thrown in for a laugh (we know because we had a DNA breed test done on him). He's funny and cute and ridiculously stubborn and looks like Yoda from Star Wars.

The great thing about these mutts is that you get a dog as unique as you are. It's like getting haute couture instead of getting something off the peg from the high street that isn't particularly well made. Be a trend setter instead of following the crowd!
    I'm eagerly awaiting the results of my dog's DNA test

I agree about mongrels, they're such a lovely mish-mash of different breeds and so very often you get the best of the breeds. I come from a family where all our dogs were meant to be with us (as in all were foundlings), including my present dog.

Mongrels rule