Terrible expiriense..!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Daria - I think you learned a hard lesson. Thanks for sharing with us because it helps to reinforce why everyone here tells people to avoid pet shops.

PLEASE go and adopt a lovely dog from a shelter and give it a good home. You clearly have love to give and the shelter dogs need that. Both of you will be better off.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Daria - I think you learned a hard lesson. Thanks for sharing with us because it helps to reinforce why everyone here tells people to avoid pet shops.

PLEASE go and adopt a lovely dog from a shelter and give it a good home. You clearly have love to give and the shelter dogs need that. Both of you will be better off.
    Yes, we will definetely do something like that, but a bit later.. I am about to give birth (in 2 weeks or so), this painful expirience was a bit too hard for me in this condition, right now we are not ready for another new pet, but we won't give up the idea and adopt a doggy later!

Expat people,

Maybe I should show you a picture of the animals in a pet store. From day 1 to day 5. They kept in cage needless to say.

U Have to go to the Dog rescue / SPCA if u want a diease-free dog.

Hi Daria,

It is sad to hear of your experience.

I would like to add, however, that vaccinating a young dog will not protect it against CPV until it's immune system is able to build up an immunity to the vaccine. Generally a puppy with one vaccination that is challenged with CPV will succumb to it. The vaccine DOES reduce mortality to a degree, but it doesn't protect the puppy from CPV. And most puppies who contract CPV have a very poor prognosis.

Unless the petshop knowingly lost some puppies thru CPV at around the same time they sold your puppy (quite possible) there is little they could have done - yes, it is very possible the sold a "time bomb" to you.

All in all very sad.

what makes it even sadder is that, judging from the level of hygeine and quarantine measures (ROFL) at most petshops, the virus would have infected almost every dog that was placed in the same cage, used to same bowls or was handled after, a clinically sick puppy.

that is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by apple&dog:
    U Have to go to the Dog rescue / SPCA if u want a diease-free dog.
    that's a little bit of a "rose coloured glasses" view, i'm sorry.

any place that houses animals from unknown backgrounds together, especially young ones, is bound to have it's share of CPV, CDV, cat flu, kennel cough etc etc etc.. all the common infectious bugs. The thing is at shelters they generally have the brains/experience/facilities to quarantine. this minimizes the chances, but even a rescue facility will admit there is the possibility of disease there.