Like Tree2Likes

Know your rights to keep a Pet - forum on 3 March

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ok thanks so much. I will come to next meeting and ask my solicitor about my building... No wonder there are so many abandoned pets in Hk.... Often the owners have to choose to give up or move.... Totally unacceptable for the majoity of owners who have happy and well behaved pets...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by crtrav:
    Often the owners have to choose to give up or move.... Totally unacceptable for the majoity of owners who have happy and well behaved pets...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Really? I don't really follow that argument as it's perfectly possible to check whether your building allows pets before you move in.

As to asking your solicitor to investigate, there's really no need, just pop down to the management office and ask to see the regulations yourself, they're usually pretty self-explanatory.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by crtrav:
    Ok thanks so much. I will come to next meeting and ask my solicitor about my building... No wonder there are so many abandoned pets in Hk.... Often the owners have to choose to give up or move.... Totally unacceptable for the majoity of owners who have happy and well behaved pets...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    You need to look at the Deed of Mutual Covenant (“DMC”), which has all the terms that flat owners of a multi-unit building are bound to and sets out rules for the management and regulation of the building. Once a DMC is signed by the owner of a flat and the developer, it binds all subsequent owners, i.e. you. You will have seen it when you purchased the unit.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks eveyone . Got it. Signing off .
    Posted via Mobile Device

Follow up on the forum

crtrav and others may find the article interesting on pg 1 of the city section of SCMP today (15 March). It follows up on this debate and explains how a lawyer believes that clauses on not keeping pets may in many cases not be legally enforceable.

As a side note, it may seem simple to those looking from the outside that someone who has bought a flat where pet ownership is not allowed has made an agreement and should stick with it. However it's not that straightforward. When you buy a flat you may not be focussing on what you want to do there further down the line, and there is so much paperwork you may not even be aware until it's too late that pets are not allowed. Management companies see it as easier just to ban pets outright, rather than have to deal with the few problem owners when problems occur. What organisations like STOP! are trying to do is to enable the well behaved majority not to be penalised by the trouble causing minority, and of course to try to reduce the chances of there being a trouble causing minority at all. This is in everyone's interests - the animal lovers, the non-animal lovers and the animals themselves.