Yorkie with collapsed trachea

Closed Thread

Yorkie with collapsed trachea

Hello.
    I have a yorkshire terrier that's 7 years old. He has been having breathing problems lately. The vet said that his trachea had collapsed and may need surgery but due to his current health, he can not undergo surgery just yet.
    Is there anything I can do for Bobby (my yorkie) to make him more comfortable? Should his walks be shorter to not cause him stress?

He's been happy-go-lucky all his life. He's the type of clumsy dog that would run straight up to an aggressive dog that's about 15 times his size and just stand there with his tail wagging. Thing is, whenever I take him on walks, he gets so excited that his breathing starts sounding like a goose honking. I'm very worried for him so I want to find out as much as I can about tracheal collapse in dogs.
    Thanks.

It sounds to me that between your observations and the Vet diagnosis there's not a lot left to be said.

excitement makes collapsing tracheas collapse, as the relative vacuum between the chest and the larynx collapses the softened trachea.

Some vets recommend a trial of corticosteroids to see if this gets better, but I'm sure your vet as been through this with you, as well as ruled out other possibilities.

If you need to find more information or need to have a fresh view on things, get a second opinion from another vet.

good luck!