Like Tree2Likes

Taking my cat on vacation

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Taking my cat on vacation

Just looking for some advice,
    I just got a cat this year, so this is the first summer I have to factor a pet into my travel plans. I usually head home to Canada for 5 weeks over the summer. I have been looking for people to cat sit for me, but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on travelling with my cat. I looked up the rules between Canada and HK and there is no quarantine. But I had one company qoute me HK$20 000 round trip. Basically I want to know if it is a good idea to bring my cat with me and what a reasonable cost would be. Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is a pet hotel in Prince Edward here:

Google Maps

There is no quarantine, IF all the AFCD requirements are met coming back into HK. Which means, amongst other things, that the cat will need to be in the same place in Canada for 180 days (which you will need a vet to certify) before it can travel back to HK. The AFCD web site will have all the info on importing an animal. HK$20,000 for flights and permits sounds about in line with what I would expect to pay, maybe a little less without an agent. You will also need to find an airline that will fly animals in the summer - most won't and even if they will it is risky for the animal because of the heat. The cargo area will be climate controlled once the plane is on, but there is a ton of waiting around and time for the animal to overheat while the animal is in a crate before it is loaded and the plane starts up. All things to consider...

Last edited by hello_there; 19-04-2010 at 03:57 PM.
    whitestar19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestar19:
    Just looking for some advice,
    I just got a cat this year, so this is the first summer I have to factor a pet into my travel plans. I usually head home to Canada for 5 weeks over the summer. I have been looking for people to cat sit for me, but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on travelling with my cat. I looked up the rules between Canada and HK and there is no quarantine. But I had one company qoute me HK$20 000 round trip. Basically I want to know if it is a good idea to bring my cat with me and what a reasonable cost would be. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Just curious. Why do you want to take your cat with you on holiday? I know that you'll miss him while you'll be away, but just consider these for a moment.
    1) Probably much higher cost to take him with you than having someone to look after him here in HK.
    2) There's always a possibility of quarantine at either end.
    3) What about the stress? Sometimes we, as humans, do find it stressful travelling long distances. What is it going to be like for a small animal?

Personally, I've flown a dog from the UK back to HK, and it was only that when I was certain that it would be for permanent that I did so. I just don't feel happy putting them through flights unless absolutely necessary.

unless the cat goes with you everywhere i.e. visiting friends, shopping, sight seeing, clubbing etc during your 5 week holiday - then better leave the cat here, it would save the cat a lot of stress, and you a lot of hassles

Know a few people who take dogs on holiday with them over the summer and both owner and dogs really seem to enjoy and benefit from the experience (more open space, off lead walks, time together etc).

I'm a little less certain that a cat would necessarily get that much benefit but that would be the first thing that I suggest you consider.

As Hello_there mentioned, costs probably sound about right, and I think you will need to arrange rabies/microchips and rabies titre blood tests to be able to come back to HK (getting into Canada is pretty easy as far as I understand).

In general cats don't travel all that well. They don't like the change in location and take a long time to settle into new places. I think it's cruel to put the moggie through all that travel to Canada and only for five weeks.

Find someone to cat sit if you can, otherwise look at catteries in HK.

I read that Captain Cook and Christopher Columbus had pet cats along for the ride and from all accounts they had a purrfect time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Cats are "homebodies"... they would probably be happier staying put - the only time I flew with my cat was when we relocate from Canada to HK...

When I was in Canada I had a cat sitter who would come to my home to play with & take care of my cat while I was away... I wonder if there's a similar service here in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast