Moving Pet to HK from Canada

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving Pet to HK from Canada

Hello All,

I'm wondering whether there is anyone here who has moved to Hong Kong from Canada and brought their pet with them.

I am moving to HK in January and wanting to bring my dog along. I am getting mixed messages from the various departments and do not know who is the 'right' authority.

My dog is up to date on vaccinations, and we will visit the vet 5 days prior to departure (and I do not foresee any health issues). I have notified the airline and am told that a form will be completed and given to the quarrantine officer upon arrival (verifying that my dog has not come into contact with other animals and has only been in Canada prior to arrival in HK). I read on one website that I need to have some verification of residency (that is, my dog has lived in Canada since birth). Where can I get that?? Who can truly verify that (even though it is true)???

I really do not want to have my dog quarrantined when we get to HK. If anyone has advice or experience to share, that would be very much appreciated.

maia

I am looking for the same info...

hi maia, I am looking for the same info, except I would be coming from the US. I'll be looking around more, if I find any more info I'll let you know. Could you do the same if you find anything out? You can use my email address [email protected].

Cheers!

John

Quote Originally Posted by maia:
    Hello All,

I'm wondering whether there is anyone here who has moved to Hong Kong from Canada and brought their pet with them.

I am moving to HK in January and wanting to bring my dog along. I am getting mixed messages from the various departments and do not know who is the 'right' authority.

My dog is up to date on vaccinations, and we will visit the vet 5 days prior to departure (and I do not foresee any health issues). I have notified the airline and am told that a form will be completed and given to the quarrantine officer upon arrival (verifying that my dog has not come into contact with other animals and has only been in Canada prior to arrival in HK). I read on one website that I need to have some verification of residency (that is, my dog has lived in Canada since birth). Where can I get that?? Who can truly verify that (even though it is true)???

I really do not want to have my dog quarrantined when we get to HK. If anyone has advice or experience to share, that would be very much appreciated.

maia

Hi guys,

Me and my kitten will be moving to Hong Kong as well and I have the same question!

A website you might want to have a look at is: www.export-a-pet.com. They are able to arrange the entire transportation for your pet. As soon as I have more information about my transfer I am going to contact them. Also have a look at the website below, you'll find more information on this. (Found both websites in this Great Forum!)

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/quarantine/ani_index.htm

Please keep me updated on any information you might find.

Thanks!

Dutchie

Quote Originally Posted by maia:
    Hello All,

maia
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712

Excellent posts in that thread about moving to HK with pets.

The AFCD website is informative. I wrote to the this email addresss:[email protected], asking some quarantine questions and got my reply from an officer the next day. Very efficient.

I'm from canada too and I'm moving my dog in Nov. I talked to Cathay Pacific and they said I need to contact the Chinese embassy in canada for specific info. I'll be going next week, and I'll have more info then; I've a friend who told me it's just a bunch of paper work, but I am not 100% posivite. All I know is vaccination and certification of the pet is really really important. I could keep you posted.

you just posted to a 2 year old thread... i'm guessing that they are already here with their dog....

Wink

My doggy was born in Canada and it lives in Hong Kong almost a year now. My doggy had been travelled in several times between Hong Kong and Canada. You have to get the certificate to prove your dog is fine and your doggy has to stay in the same country at least 6 months. Less than 6 months, you better keep it in the country. I ensure they will not let you send your doggy to Hong Kong. Do you have friends, parents or relatives in Hong Kong? If yes, that would be much faster.

Born in Toronto - Was Living in Tokyo - Now Living in HK

Hi Everyone,

I am moved to HK about a month ago and have to go back to Japan to pick up my cat but, during my preparation to relocate to HK I was in contact with the AFCD.

Things you must note:

1) You pet can't go on the plane with you and MUST go as CARGO.
    2) Either you move the pet partially yourself or you get a pet relocation company to do it.
    3) Usually if you do it yourself you will bring the pet to the airport to be transferred to a cargo company and they will bring it to the airport government vet to be checked and they will sign off that your pet is from Canada, US or Japan etc.

I am going back to Japan to bring my cat back in Sept. so message me around then and I can tell you how I did

All...we moved to HK from USA with our 2 cats two years ago. Basically you need to make sure you have the right vaccinations and documents for entry. Pets will travel as cargo like the last poster mentioned. As long as all your documents are prepared and you are not coming from a Group III country, then there should be no quarantine.

Here's the latest website from the HK Government:
    http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/quara..._ipab_idc.html

Documents needed for dogs & cats are:
    1/ Import permit from HK Government. Look at website how to apply.
    2/ Health certificate dated not more than 14 days before departure
    3/ Residence certificate
    4/ Vaccination certificate
    5/ Airline Certificate
    --> See HK Government website for more info

For Group II countries (includes USA & Canada) as long as you have all these documents and pets are > 5 months old there will be no quarantine.

I DO highly recommend using a pet exporter who's specialized at helping your pets get into the country without problems (at least for peace of mind). You can look locally in your country for the service or try export-a-pet in HK (like last poster mentioned) or www.wishyouwereherehk.com (the company we've used).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast